Since nobody has mentioned Forbidden....

Excellent set! Even some of the Twisted Into Form songs I didn't think I cared for as much as the others blew me away. Totally got into it. And yes, it was great to hear a Distortion song! And Through Eyes of Glass!!! Was really hoping to hear Out of Body (Out of Mind), especially after Infinite, but whatever, Great set!!

Yeah, Out Of Body would have brought the pain! Kind of wish they did that instead of R.I.P. thinking back, but not complaining because they crushed.

I knew nothing of these guys, but was thoroughly entertained. As already mentioned, the drummer was crazy good. I was glad the vocalist actually sang and didn't growl, and he could move around pretty well for a big guy.

Gene Hoglan is drum god. Dark Angel, Metalocalypse, Devin Townsend, Strapping Young Lad and the list goes on and on. Seems to be the go to guy for quick drummer replacement which is the even more mind-boggling thing. he learns all this stuff in short notice and then KILLS it live. nobody like the dude out there and then to understand he wrote most all of Dark Angel's rifftastic thrash masterpiece "Time Does Not Heal" still leaves me in awe. Drum god and thrash riff guitar god!

Gene Hoglan indeed wrecked the drum kit. I really didn't think it would survive.

On the other hand, their guitarist's constant spitting toward the crowd, and onto the stage floor kind of annoyed me. In sort of a "who the hell do you think you are?" kind of way. They aren't playing at Russ' Skate Emporium in Peoria - the are the lead-in band to Therion at ProgPower. He was a great performer - but I don't like being spit at. I was at that place on the rail for almost every set - he is the only performer that got on my nerves.

Russ had more energy than a man that size should have - and Steve Smyth looked awesome.

Gene Hoglan is drum god. Dark Angel, Metalocalypse, Devin Townsend, Strapping Young Lad and the list goes on and on. Seems to be the go to guy for quick drummer replacement which is the even more mind-boggling thing. he learns all this stuff in short notice and then KILLS it live. nobody like the dude out there and then to understand he wrote most all of Dark Angel's rifftastic thrash masterpiece "Time Does Not Heal" still leaves me in awe. Drum god and thrash riff guitar god!

And arguably the two best Death albums \m/ That's where his greatest work is at, imo. He's up there with the best that have played the stage. For my money, Bobby is #1. then its JMac, Hoglan, Terrana, Lejon, Asgeir Mickelson, and Quirarte.

And arguably the two best Death albums m/ That's where his greatest work is at, imo. He's up there with the best that have played the stage. For my money, Bobby is #1. then its JMac, Hoglan, Terrana, Lejon, Asgeir Mickelson, and Quirarte.

I brought my copy of Time Does Not Heal for him to sign. It's in my top 5 thrash albums ever.

sdc11364l.jpg

Forbidden was amazing!!! As I yelled out during the set - "Fuck Dream Evil! HELL YES FORBIDDEN!"

I have never headbanged that much in my life - and my damn neck is sore for it! It was worth every second.

Did ya'll see the kid on the rails?! He was headbanging like a pro!!! I caught his eye a few times and gave him my best grins. Props to his old man for starting that boy off right!!!!!!!

The only negative - the spitting was nastyyyyyyy!
Thank you mosh pit for shoving me into the second row and refraining from karate bullshit. OH! Yes yes - thanks to the tall, big guys that surrounded and protected the 5' tall chick that I am.

On the other hand, their guitarist's constant spitting toward the crowd, and onto the stage floor kind of annoyed me. In sort of a "who the hell do you think you are?" kind of way. They aren't playing at Russ' Skate Emporium in Peoria - the are the lead-in band to Therion at ProgPower.

It's thrash metal...they spit, sweat, and headbang...and I loved every friggin' minute of it! Besides While Heaven Wept, Forbidden was my favorite performance of the weekend.

~Brian~

While they were solid, I was extremely disappointed with the fact that Forsaken At The Gates wasn't included in the setlist. EXTREMELY disappointed.

That song has got to be one of the strongest cuts of the new album. Why they would choose not to do it is beyond me...

Forbidden was a HUGE surprise for me. I've heard them before, but thrash really isn't my thing. They had an incredible energy and a surprising amount of melody, and it was a joy to watch Hoglan on drums.

I was pretty jacked when they were added to the fest. I pretty much missed them back in day and only got into them this past year. I also had never seen them live before, so ... what a treat to see them at such a great venue.

Britt

While they were solid, I was extremely disappointed with the fact that Forsaken At The Gates wasn't included in the setlist. EXTREMELY disappointed.

That song has got to be one of the strongest cuts of the new album. Why they would choose not to do it is beyond me...

DUDE!! they totally played it. where were you?! hahahaha. it's on the set list posted above as well.

It's thrash metal...they spit, sweat, and headbang...and I loved every friggin' minute of it! Besides While Heaven Wept, Forbidden was my favorite performance of the weekend.

~Brian~

glad someone else said it before me about the spitting. highly doubtful they did it on purpose. they were very respectful of the fans and all of PP for all i could tell. At the signing sessions they appearing quite stoked to be there.

I also would have liked to have heard that one. The one I kept hoping for was "Swine". That's my fav from their latest disc.

Britt

Edit ... Hmmm, I guess they did play Forsaken At The Gates. It must have been when I slipped out for a rest room break.

Did ya'll see the kid on the rails?! He was headbanging like a pro!!! I caught his eye a few times and gave him my best grins. Props to his old man for starting that boy off right!!!!!!!

This was Michael's 4th Progpower and he was super stoked for Forbidden and Sanctuary. Being a huge fan of both bands since high school, I still listen to them frequently so he has kind of grown up listening to them. Plus he idolizes Gene Hoglan so seeing him live was a dream for him. I was a few rows back at the edge of the pit watching him and making sure his older brother was ok moshing. Music is a big deal in our family, so we tend to enjoy the same stuff and I have been bringing them to concerts with me since they were both about 8 years old. Its the one thing I will always share with my kids...

Thank you mosh pit for shoving me into the second row and refraining from karate bullshit. OH! Yes yes - thanks to the tall, big guys that surrounded and protected the 5' tall chick that I am.

Hey! I was one of those guys - behind to the left. During Forbidden's first go-round starting in the late '80s I had a five-foot tall girlfriend I used have to stand behind and knock the stagedivers away from, so I had practice. :lol:

That kid was seriously into it - my buddy Dave and I spent the whole show trying to cover for him so he didn't get crashed from behind.

This was Michael's 4th Progpower and he was super stoked for Forbidden and Sanctuary. Being a huge fan of both bands since high school, I still listen to them frequently so he has kind of grown up listening to them. Plus he idolizes Gene Hoglan so seeing him live was a dream for him. I was a few rows back at the edge of the pit watching him and making sure his older brother was ok moshing. Music is a big deal in our family, so we tend to enjoy the same stuff and I have been bringing them to concerts with me since they were both about 8 years old. Its the one thing I will always share with my kids...

I'm quoting this entire thing because it's awesome. :D