Singers - VOCAL RANGES!

Katalepsy

Aug 2, 2004
katalepsy.741.com
What's up everyone!?

I'm bored out of my mind, so I thought I would ask about any singers' NATURAL vocal ranges...Not falsetto (sp?)

If you don't know exactly what your range is, compare yourself to another singer, and just say whether you can go slightly lower, or slightly higher...Or whatever word choice you wanna use.

I compared myself to Russel Allen on "Awakenings" and I can safely say that I can <Usually> stay on pitch and in the same octave as Russ...So in other words...Pretty high, lol.

According to the choir I got stuck in a few days ago, I'm a bass 1. I think I'm probly a tenor 2. Can't think of any SX songs I that fit it right now. Rhapsody's "Dawn of Victory" fits my range, except a few high notes.

Falsetto can be a very nice effect, but in NO way a substitution for head voice.

I can go from a low D (the lowest string in drop D tuning) to a high G (3rd fret on high E string) in head voice. In falsetto I can basically go as high as I want, but I don't like using my falsetto voice, as I sometimes lose it completely depending on what I've had to drink or eat or how much I've sung in head voice.

I can go from E2 up to about G4 in chest voice, and then up to C5/D5 in head voice, but my higher stuff sounds kinda weak. I'm best at the low-midrange stuff, especially for slow, airy, atmospheric stuff.

Liquid Shadow said:
I can go from E2 up to about G4 in chest voice, and then up to C5/D5 in head voice, but my higher stuff sounds kinda weak. I'm best at the low-midrange stuff, especially for slow, airy, atmospheric stuff.

EHVARGREY!!!!!!1111one
\m/>_<\m/

Madness Caught Another Victim was actually sung by me. Everybody thinks it was Tom Englund, but everybody is wrong. I never got credit for that, and have never forgiven them since.

Buncha no-credit-giving wankers.

Last time I checked, the world record for the highest vocal range was a low E (equivalent to the open low E on a bass guitar) and an E four octaves higher. Didn't say much else apart from something along the lines of him being able to reach the notes easily or something so that could be his natural range.

I don't know if I read your post correctly, but I don't think the world record for the lowest note is the low E as found on the lowest string of a four string bass guitar. A friend of mine sings bass in honor choir, and although he himself can go very low (a B, the equivalent of the lowest string on a seven string guitar), he told me that a couple of the other guys in the choir were completely off the hook, and could easily hit a low E, the equivalent of the lowest string of a four string bass.

Come to think of it, if I drink heavily and smoke a cigar or two the night before, I can basically sing as low as I want the next morning, especially after a cup of coffee... ;)

He didn't mean lowest note, he meant highest range. In the case of his story, that's from E1 to E5, which is damn impressive. I know that James LaBrie can go up to F#5, but I really doubt he can get anywhere near E1, since his voice is not very low at all. It's not about the extreme highs or lows that guy can hit -which many people can do- it's about how he can reach both ends of the spectrum like that, which is quite unheard of. Someone with a voice low enough to hit E1 usually wouldn't be able to reach E5, even in head voice. If that guy Eternal Dragon was talking about can actually do that, then I tip my e-hat to him.

Ah, I see.

Oh, and LaBrie can't go that high anymore. He hit that F# on Learning to Live back in the Images and Words days, but there's no way in hell that he can do it today. It has taken him years to recover from his vocal chord injury after Awake, and nowadays he probably can't go higher than a D or so.

Have any of you guys heard Mark Boals? On Malmsteen's Alchemy album, he goes WAY high, even up to a Bb at one point. The guy has one of the most impressive upper registers I've ever heard. In "Leonardo", he's sustaining a perfectly controlled Ab with vibrato and all at the end of every chorus.

Garm, who used to be in Arcturus, has an amazing range from low to high. Just listen to "Master Of Disguise." Both the low voice and the high voices are his.

You know who I really like? Well, of course not, BUT... Steve Grimmett from Grim Reaper. That guy could fukkin wail. I mean, I've heard people go higher, but the power at which he delivers every note is just plain awesome. I also really like Joe Lynn Turner on Yngwie's "Odyssey" album ("I feel a rising force!").

aiwass said:
Ah, I see.

Oh, and LaBrie can't go that high anymore. He hit that F# on Learning to Live back in the Images and Words days, but there's no way in hell that he can do it today. It has taken him years to recover from his vocal chord injury after Awake, and nowadays he probably can't go higher than a D or so.

I think he's actually worked back to that now. People who saw them play Under a Glass Moon on the most recent tour said he nailed it, and I believe them. I saw them this time around, and even though they didn't play that particular song, I could totally see him hitting that. He was spot on the entire night. He's lost a lot of weight (check out the most recent pictures...he's a new man!) and also switched to a new opera coach awhile ago, plus he's been getting over that little by little ever since it happened. It's taken him quite awhile, but he's on the top of his game right now.

I'm sure he's got bad days when he can't hit it, but on a good day I wouldn't doubt that he can do that F#. A year or two ago I would have laughed at the thought, but now it's totally feasible.

I want to see Dream Theater live. On this tour, the closest they came was Bristow, Virginia, and that's like 10 hours away.

Liquid Shadow said:
I think he's actually worked back to that now. People who saw them play Under a Glass Moon on the most recent tour said he nailed it, and I believe them. I saw them this time around, and even though they didn't play that particular song, I could totally see him hitting that. He was spot on the entire night. He's lost a lot of weight (check out the most recent pictures...he's a new man!) and also switched to a new opera coach awhile ago, plus he's been getting over that little by little ever since it happened. It's taken him quite awhile, but he's on the top of his game right now.

I'm sure he's got bad days when he can't hit it, but on a good day I wouldn't doubt that he can do that F#. A year or two ago I would have laughed at the thought, but now it's totally feasible.

All this I know. I saw them live this year, and he changes some of the really high notes. For instance, the high E in the Under a Glass Moon chorus ("waiting for TIIIIME to disappear..."), he avoids by simply changing the melody. I actually thought the new variation sounded better, though.

There's no way he can still hit that F#, but his voice has certainly improved A LOT this past year.

Funny, I've heard that he's nailed that part on some recent shows...but then again, it was from fanboys on the DT forum so you never know. :p

I like when he kinda avoids those high notes too...like on Learning to Live on the LSFNY DVD, when he does the woooaaaaaoooooh part going up higher and higher...the live melody was much cooler than the studio version, even though it didn't go nearly as high.