Singing AND playing

Kohlrabihaus

Minister of Silly Walks
Sep 13, 2004
www.myspace.com
Hey!
I have a question because it´s making me mad that there are no lessons about it out there... the thing is how to play guitar and sing at the same time. most players say: just try it out. but there´s lessons for EVERY TECHNIQUE!
I think if i would just try it, there will be success someday. but I am really interestet in the most effective way to develope this. Since I take vocal lessons from a pro opera singer, i want to sing more in my bands now. But I cannot play most of the parts while singing, I mean i can bang around the stage to the riffs but i can´t sing!!! IT SUCKS!!!
please if someone knows a good and effective way to learn this, tell me!
thanks

Over the last 6 months I have been working with my voice & this exact technique. Les Claypool (who cannot sing whatsoever) is actually the musician who inspired me to sing & play. My advice would be to read something while you play. A Shampoo bottle, a beer label, a book, it doesn't matter. At first don't even sing notes, just read, this will develop independence between voice & instrument.

Feel what you are playing as well. If you know your fretboard, and know every single note, it makes singing easier, as you dont need to focus so much on where your hands are.

I did that for a while, and then moved onto to singing & playing King Diamond & Mercyful Fate songs. Why mention this? Well I love these bands to death, and know the songs like the back of my hand....start with songs you know to develop the skill.

Sight Singing is also helpful as well...
Playing Primus & singing at the same time, really helped me learn fast.

Zac

If you know the fretboard well then it makes it a lot easier and you don't have to concentrate as hard on playing guitar and looking at the fretboard all the time. Like Obi-wan Kenobi says: Trust your feelings; use them for good and not evil. The easy way out is the path to the dark side. I forgot where I was going with this...but if you ever get into a light-sabre battle it helps to know your opponent's fretboard as well.

Kohlrabihaus said:
Hey!
I have a question because it´s making me mad that there are no lessons about it out there... the thing is how to play guitar and sing at the same time. most players say: just try it out. but there´s lessons for EVERY TECHNIQUE!
I think if i would just try it, there will be success someday. but I am really interestet in the most effective way to develope this. Since I take vocal lessons from a pro opera singer, i want to sing more in my bands now. But I cannot play most of the parts while singing, I mean i can bang around the stage to the riffs but i can´t sing!!! IT SUCKS!!!
please if someone knows a good and effective way to learn this, tell me!
thanks
Hey Kohlrabihaus,
there are a ton of Examples we could create to help out but I will cut to what makes this difficult, so if you want more execises just let me know.

To start make sure you can play you guitar and vocal part well (individualy). Then working on small phrases of the song tag specific sylables of what your singing to the exact part that they match up to on the guitar and practice putting them together(example: your going from Ami to Gmj and on the switch to G you sing "the" right on the switch).
Hope this helps, Chris.

Thanks alot, Zac, sounds usefull! seems to be a good combination, when i have to learn for my art studies (which is cool, but time taking) so when i can read and play guitar... sounds great ;) And i think i will practise to Iced Earth, since these songs are the ultimate workout for your right hand (thats how i learned to play rhythmy guitar)!

To start make sure you can play you guitar and vocal part well (individualy). Then working on small phrases of the song tag specific sylables of what your singing to the exact part that they match up to on the guitar and practice putting them together(example: your going from Ami to Gmj and on the switch to G you sing "the" right on the switch).
Hope this helps, Chris.

I think i need to tell you what kind of riffs we play in my band. basically it´s very influenced by older Iced Earth material but with more challenging left hand work, if you know what i mean. There are many of these gallop rhythms with harmony notes in between. the difficult part for me is mostly how to hit the emphazised harmony notes and skip back to the bass note rhythm, while the vocal line has a different rhythm.

Point one sounds logic so far. though i still haven´t understand HOW to work on the parts... :confused:

...but Chris, i´m really amazed how much of your knowlegde you share- it is soo helpfull; man this is great and i can´t tell how much i appreciate it!

...anyway the force would be a great help to use for guitar playing...