Singing and Playing at the same time

HeavyMetalVagabond

New Metal Member
Sep 18, 2011
Anyone know any tricks to learning it/ the best way to practice it?? ive always been so amazed by how Mustaine sings and plays the guitar parts at the same time, particularly the first 4 albums. I can sing the parts, i can play the rhythms (most), but has anyone got any advice on combining them?

Anyone know any tricks to learning it/ the best way to practice it?? ive always been so amazed by how Mustaine sings and plays the guitar parts at the same time, particularly the first 4 albums. I can sing the parts, i can play the rhythms (most), but has anyone got any advice on combining them?

just try and start to do so! when I started to learn this, I searched for too long to find some tips on this, but I did not make any progress. just as soon as I tackled it ;)
try easy things at first, count with your foot and don't worry about intonation and timing too much.
for instance playing 8th notes and count the quarter notes, speaking it. just basic stuff. then - like everything - build it up from there. so: start today, that is the main advice!
and btw. I am not near I want to be, by any means. but I feel it is coming together slowly.

hm, without wanting to sound demeaning, there are much more impressive people out there than Mustaine or Hedfield, up front Daniel Gildenlöw guitarist and lead vocalist from Pain of Salvation, the man is insane! in my book one of a kind. genius musician!
then search for Esperalda Spalding, she blew my mind when I first saw some live footage...

What helped me was taking a piano-like approach to it; master the performance with one hand first, then master it with the other. This can be translated into singing/playing which is what you have already done. I used a metronome to get a good feel for the beat as I practiced each part. It also helps to sing rhythmically to get a better idea of where each syllable falls within the music. Then I just combined the two at a much slower rate. Once I was comfortable, I sped the metronome up gradually until I was playing at original tempo.

Also go with what Kohlrabihaus said; practice easier stuff first. A lot of classic rock songs are good numbers to start with. :)