Playing and singing at the same time

MetaldudeEric

New Metal Member
Jan 1, 2005
I play bass in my band The Requiem, but I'm thinking of sharing vocals with our main singer Andy. I never really tried singing and playing at the same time, I was wondering how to approch it.

practice, practice, practice..thats the key. whenever you sit down to practice your bass, just try singing along with the notes at first, then when you get more comfortable, try singing melodys. after a while it will be easy.
hope i could help,and good luck:)

Practice! it works best when you know well what you want to hear, meaning you should be able to both play and sing by heart, then combining both kinda comes automatically if you try. of course some songs or parts are very difficult to play+sing, try to start with the easier stuff. maybe start with some of your favourite songs that you can both play and sing and try to combine both

The whole deal with playing and singing at the same time is the ability to have what your playing and what your singing to be in different time with each other, thats what makes it hard in some things. that basicly just takes practice. playing while ur singing when the vocal melody and the bass melody are closely related really isnt all that hard. so yeah just keep workin on it dude

It's probably a lot like playing piano things with two separate melodies, like the Bach Inventions. You have to know both parts well enough so that you can play them without really paying attention to one. But the two parts go together, so it's not as hard.

I just discovered that Daniel Gildenlow plays guitar live....he really must have some kind of job of putting the singing and guitar together.

I know what you mean dude. I play guitar and bass, and am doing vocals at the same time, and it's quite hard. The way I'm going is playing things like "Nightmares" by Iced Earth, songs that are not necesarrily hard to play, but sound good anyways. I'm making headway with that. :)