Playing and singing...

plfffffft

Madly in anger with you
Apr 2, 2002
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Ok, does anybody here play guitar AND sing/growl/scream in a band? I ask because Me and my friends are planning on starting a band, and we all agreed that I have the best voice. the problem is, I wanna play guitar too, but I always have trouble singing and playing at the same time. so does anybody have any advice on how to practice this, besides just going out and doing it till I get the hang of it? Or should I Just concentrate on one and get somebody else to do the other?

Just do what I do, take a slower song you're really familiar with overall, practice with that, gradually increase the tempo of it and start trying to play with the timing of vocals and notes and stuff. did that with some soft acoustic rock, and it helped. now if you're a growler (which i do a lot, but not while playing guitar for some reason), then i wouldn't know what to tell ya.

It's a coordination thing. I am not too good at it, but trying to talk while playing helped, gets you used to using your vocal chords while playing. Then just practice really... Maybe pick a simple metallica song and learn to play and sing it :)

I'm not good at this either. I'd agree with DarkNoise and & 7 Dying Trees... Start slow, TALK while you play, and practice, practice practice... Eventually, you'll get better.

I can sing backup, but it screws me up when I'm playing really technical passages...

yeah. there is nothing else you can do but practice at it. and i suggest practicing with a microphone too and a pa or something to run youre voice to a set of headphones. one to get comfortable with the mic and to get used to your voice thru the speakers so you can hear how it really sounds and get good mic placement and stuff. practice.

Ya that's what i do and it is pretty hard at first until you get the hang of it. The trick is to learn the song on the guitar first. Practice it until it is second nature. Practice it until you can play it flawlessly without thinking about it. Once you have that down, start learning how to sing it. This usually takes more concentration than playing the song on the guitar. Don't expect to play solos and sing at the same time but riffs are logical.

I have been playing and singing lately too, and I agree its difficult. in addition to starting with a slower song and practicing the fuck out of it, Ill also add that it helps TREMENDOUSLY if you are writing guitar parts specifically for your vocal parts.
get a few lines written, find the flow of the song, and come up with riffs based on your natural timing.
works for me. good luck-

Hmmmm, I kinda do this shit well and I think it's not about practice... (of course, practice does make it in a part)

First, as another said, you have to know the song by heart. ZERO doubt, ZERO hesitation.... SAME FOR THE LYRICS.

Well if you wanna do it anyway, you have to hmmm TELL YOURSELF THAT YOU CAN FOR A LONG TIME BEFORE TRYING.
If you really really really believe you can... it will work just by magic. And with some practice you'll be like Nergal /Behemoth Peter Tagtgren /Hypocrisy....

But if you already tried and figured out THAT YOU NEED A LOT OF PRACTICE... You can't truly believe you can do it... you become doubtful AND YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE x10 the time. It's true.
So if you already know that you can't right now... well, I'm sorry for you, and good luck for your practice...

But if you didn't really try yet. Remember, if you are good (good as good-good) You can do it if you trust yourself.

I never said it's impossible to play solos and sing at the same time, I was just implying that it is rather difficult. I know a guy who can play lead-type riffs, sing, and smoke at the same time. He usually conducts a conversation with someone else during his solos and never misses a note. I think that it is more a matter of talent and natural ability. The type of people who can sing at the same time as play are people who have the riffs come out very naturally for them. For the rest of us, practice is the only way.

think of it this way. the song is meant to be a certyin way. the best way to get something "down pat", is to let everything come natural. the song is above you.... it is a gift bestowed upon you.. not something you are trying to make sound good. it is an art unlocked, a passage in your life. connect with your music, then just play it how it is MEANT to be. it's a natural thing, play it as such. music should never EVER be "forced". becuase if that is the way you think of it.... you're really not meant to play metal.. because you have to force yourself, for hours upon hours, to do it.
as i've said before in earlier posts... hate is a natural thing, same as metal. let the demon within rage.

If you know a song that has 2 differents guitar parts
play one on your guitar and try to sing the other one
or sing the drumming part

walking won't really help you a one month beginner is able to play and walk

Isahn is the fucking man though...most of us aren't LOL!!!!

Damn, XI Equilibrium FUCKING KILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First learn the guitar part, and then talk the lyrics while you are playing.
Gradually, change the talking to the talking-singing, and to the singing.

I gonna start singing for my new band also. Lyrics are something that I really dont care about in metal but Im gonna cheat with it and put the words in the exact place so Im able to sing and play. Now when im riffing Im not sure what the hell im gonna do there. that schtuff is hard as hell to sing along to. I'll think of something so that everything is timed with each other. I always thought Dave mustaine was incredibly insane with singing and playing. but yeah I agree practice is the best thing to do.