playing while singing

Singing while playing six string isn't hard. Singing while playing bass is a challenge.

defiantly not, at my band practice, me and my bass play will often swap instruments just for the hell of it and if anything it's easier for me because if i loose rhythm on bass, i can just bullshit something until i get back on while keeping the vocals going

Okay, then what is remotely true? It's definitely harder on the fast stuff

not necessarily, its not the speed of what ever you're playing that will make it more challenging to sing, it's the technicality combined with the rhythm. i can sing while sweeping up and down the neck all day long however, i can't sing over a meshuggah style rhythm unless the vocal rhythm revolves around the rhythm of the music

Thanks guys! I must say that I really picked it up quite quickly with our album; now I'm in the "fine tuning" mode...just working out all the kinks and trouble spots. But now I have another question:

I've noticed that while I don't necessarily have a problem singing and playing simultaneously, I've discovered I have a problem singing into the microphone while playing. I probably just need to adjust it to a better angle so I can see what I'm doing in the more difficult spots of the songs while singing. But I was also wondering if there's a good microphone that picks up the voice even if you don't swallow the damn thing like I have to. I'm using the old standard Shure SM58 that everyone and their mother uses, but I notice that when I tilt my head just a tiny bit to the side, it's like my voice is completely out of the cone. Is the 58's cone THAT narrow? Are there any other mics that have better overall reception or would be more sensitive? Or should I just adjust the mic stand at a 45 degree angle to meet my mouth when I'm looking down at my guitar? Of course, I don't have to look all the time, but we're not exactly playing power chords and pentatonic licks that you can play blindfolded anyway. It's not uber-technical but the rhythms are pretty involved and take concentration. Thanks again!

i don't think you can fix the mic problem however, i can relate to your problem of singing into the mic due to the fact that for my death metal vocals, i stand straight up and down with my head cocked in a weird position (very weird) and for my black metal, i'm crouching with my head pointed straight up. all you can do is practice with a mic as much as possible

It depends on whether the bass follows the drums or goes along with the guitars. Usually the bass follows the drums but some bands use it as a low end for the guitars...if it's following the drums it can be much more difficult because you're going with the beat and not the harmony.

We're talking good bass too, not Tom Araya.

It depends on whether the bass follows the drums or goes along with the guitars. Usually the bass follows the drums but some bands use it as a low end for the guitars...if it's following the drums it can be much more difficult because you're going with the beat and not the harmony.

We're talking good bass too, not Tom Araya.

check out old school slayer, tom ruled back then

and as for playing bass with the drums, it still wouldn't make singing while playing more difficult, you would just have to change the vocal rhythms to fit what you're playing. this of course, wouldn't work for covers but for original music, it would

Thanks guys! I must say that I really picked it up quite quickly with our album; now I'm in the "fine tuning" mode...just working out all the kinks and trouble spots. But now I have another question:

I've noticed that while I don't necessarily have a problem singing and playing simultaneously, I've discovered I have a problem singing into the microphone while playing. I probably just need to adjust it to a better angle so I can see what I'm doing in the more difficult spots of the songs while singing. But I was also wondering if there's a good microphone that picks up the voice even if you don't swallow the damn thing like I have to. I'm using the old standard Shure SM58 that everyone and their mother uses, but I notice that when I tilt my head just a tiny bit to the side, it's like my voice is completely out of the cone. Is the 58's cone THAT narrow? Are there any other mics that have better overall reception or would be more sensitive? Or should I just adjust the mic stand at a 45 degree angle to meet my mouth when I'm looking down at my guitar? Of course, I don't have to look all the time, but we're not exactly playing power chords and pentatonic licks that you can play blindfolded anyway. It's not uber-technical but the rhythms are pretty involved and take concentration. Thanks again!

Adjust the mics position so you are comfortable with it. I'll post some pics of my "on stage" stance when I get home, but my legs are fairly widely spaced, and I'm holding my guitar forward somewhat.

i'm stealin matt's suggestion, here's a pic of me doing my death metal vocals...

l_1eadb580ac7d4a8180cd5e17fb2fdf2f.jpg

and here's my black metal vocals...

DillonandJoe2.jpg

Here are some live shots of me doing my thing:

TMPB037.jpg

I'm leaning back and squatting slightly. This is for my higher screams. This lets me angle my head upward at the mic, which is what is easier for me to do highs.

TMPB029.jpg

Here is another shot. I'm standing up straighter, so I can look down at the mic. This lets me do low growls easier.

mattkyle2.jpg

This one is better to show you how I hold the guitar. I can keep my head forward, and still see the fretboard.

I'm doing kinda what Matt's doing; that is, turn the body of the guitar more over your leg/hip bone instead of having it straight over your crotch. I realized that this way, you can still sing straight into the microphone, yet be able to see your entire fretboard, just about. I've seen several people do that and I always wondered why...now I know :).

See I've never had to do that. I know what my fingers are doing. The only time I have to look down is to make sure i'm at the right fret here and there, but usually I know by feel. Of course I gotta look while soloing though.

It's harder in general. At least with a guitar you can kinda slow down and no one will notice. If the bass drops out when you're trying to sing, people go what the fuck?

Not even remotely true...
This.
The guitar is way more noticable. The bass is generally buried pretty thoroughly. The guitar if you slow down it'll sound shitty, and if you're playing with another guitarist it'll sound really shitty because you'll be playing different non-complementary things.
If you have a massive problem with it best thing is to either get the vocal line to go with the riff or just do a power chord sustain while singing. Depends on the song, but it's often a good way to "cheat" without sounding shitty.

See I've never had to do that. I know what my fingers are doing. The only time I have to look down is to make sure i'm at the right fret here and there, but usually I know by feel. Of course I gotta look while soloing though.

same goes for me, i'll go 3/4 a song without looking at my fretboard from time to time

Yeah, I play by feel usually. If I have to move more than five frets or so I might need to look, though.

i have to check occasionally on one or two songs though, one song has a riff with a 6 fret stretch and another song is all over the place and most of the riffs span from the 1st to the 10th fret. other than those, i never check the fret board and usually check where i am by ear