guitar players

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
Any of you players in here play and sing at the same time? I'm finding that it gets much easier with practice and I'm just looking for maybe some hints or personal advice for playing while singing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can do it and play fast doing it, but there are some tricky time changing parts in odd time signatures when we play that are giving me a bit of trouble.

I was mainly curious about more of a "mental" method or tips like such. Some way of developing the mind to split perfectly playing and singing at the same time.

I've noticed that I tend to bob my head a little bit when I play, and I realized I was doing it while singing as well...it was throwing my rhythm off and then I just remained still and it came back to me. This is an example of what I'm talking about as a good habit to get into and maybe focus.

Are there any other bits of advice?

i had to learn a few times to play and do vocals for when our singer couldn't be at a show, honestly the best way is just to play the easier parts and sing over them. one thing that definitely didn't help was i tried slowing stuff down since that usually works for playing normally but no that didn't help, it seems pretty hit and miss so i'd say just try until you get it no matter how much you fuck up.

i had to learn a few times to play and do vocals for when our singer couldn't be at a show, honestly the best way is just to play the easier parts and sing over them. one thing that definitely didn't help was i tried slowing stuff down since that usually works for playing normally but no that didn't help, it seems pretty hit and miss so i'd say just try until you get it no matter how much you fuck up.

That's kinda the road I'm on now, and it's worked pretty well so far. But there is one part in a song that is absolutely fucking me and I'm hoping the drummer will be able to sing it.

My 2 cents.

I like to practice with a metronome at half speed, and start the riff and keep it going to get it committed to muscle memory while I consciously imagine the vocal line in my head being sang in time with the guitar riff. This way I can sort of examine the nuances of how the vocal line and the riff interact. Then I try to work my voice in. Sometimes this works for me and sometimes this doesn't.

It also helps me to record the riff and the vocal line separately and then listen to it a lot. It seems more natural to me to play it if I know what the end result is supposed to sound like. I find the especially useful for the harder riffs and vocal lines where the vocal line doesn't naturally fit with the way that you play the riff. This usually ends up working for me if I listen to it a lot.

I cannot sing and play at the same time, i would have to practice a lot to do so. I want someone here to be able to do what muhammid can do from Necrophagist....that guy can sing and do some crazy shit.

Hey Liver, you know which part is fucking me on Artificial? The title track, "Artificial". The part where it goes, "A gray flame, it burns inside...in veins cold flows liquid fire...weakness of man has been retired. MY SOUL IS STORED INTEEEEERNAAAALLYYYYYYYY, YOU'LL FIND A MAN WITH HUMAN DREAMS BUT, THIS SILVERED HEART WAS NOT BOOOOORN, IT WAS BUUUUUIIIIIILLLLLLLTTTTT!!!!!!"

For some fucking reason, it's giving me a little trouble. I can do it, but synchronizing the guitar riff and the vox is difficult because they're both in different meters. Halp!

Hey Liver, you know which part is fucking me on Artificial? The title track, "Artificial". The part where it goes, "A gray flame, it burns inside...in veins cold flows liquid fire...weakness of man has been retired. MY SOUL IS STORED INTEEEEERNAAAALLYYYYYYYY, YOU'LL FIND A MAN WITH HUMAN DREAMS BUT, THIS SILVERED HEART WAS NOT BOOOOORN, IT WAS BUUUUUIIIIIILLLLLLLTTTTT!!!!!!"

For some fucking reason, it's giving me a little trouble. I can do it, but synchronizing the guitar riff and the vox is difficult because they're both in different meters. Halp!

yeah just keep doing it over and over, like vincent said, try not to think about it. It takes some time.

btw that song is fucking brutal!!!!

Any of you players in here play and sing at the same time? I'm finding that it gets much easier with practice and I'm just looking for maybe some hints or personal advice for playing while singing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i play guitar and do vocals at the same time and don't have much trouble with it, just base your vocal rhythm's off of the rhythm of the music and practice practice practice