Help singing phil anselmo style? (Beginner)

Rex R

New Metal Member
May 28, 2017
So I'm 18 and I'm starting a band with my cousin once we find some more people, and I'm gonna be vocalist, but I wanna sing like anselmo. I've tried covering like "walk" "5 min alone" "southern trendkill" and a few more. I can sing somewhat as heavy but during long ass screams or if I have to hold a word for a bit that has a lot of growl in it, I get a major fuckin headache afterwards and my throat hurts. I know that I'm not really supposed to strain my throats when I'm singing or whatever, but I don't really know how to sing like that without doing that. I don't really know if I'm on a path of fuckin my throat up or what, but is there any tips or help anyone could offer to help?

If you're hurting your throat when you do it, you're overstretching yourself. You might be able to do it for one night, but what if you have a show the next night?

Why not try to sing in your own "metal voice"? It's great to sound like someone else, but at the same time, unless you're doing note for note covers, it isn't really essential.

Have you heard the first Pantera album with Anselmo? He isn't so heavy in that one, but I actually prefer his voice. Maybe you should try some of those songs too!

If you're hurting your throat when you do it, you're overstretching yourself. You might be able to do it for one night, but what if you have a show the next night?

Why not try to sing in your own "metal voice"? It's great to sound like someone else, but at the same time, unless you're doing note for note covers, it isn't really essential.

Have you heard the first Pantera album with Anselmo? He isn't so heavy in that one, but I actually prefer his voice. Maybe you should try some of those songs too!

Yeah, I definitely want originality. I guess I just want to be able to accomplish some of his low ass tones that he can reach. Kind of a unique sound. And yeah his voice definitely changed quite a bit throughout pantera. Thanks for the feedback though man. Good things to keep in mind.