sinking sand guitar solo tabs, please...

turke

Aug 16, 2003
Dystopia
I want to play "sinkin sand". Especially the solo part is a little bit hard for me to tab. I am kinda beginner. Can anyone help me please ?
Doug ? That could be you :)

I'm sorry to say that I do not have any tabs for any of my music. I don't know how to read or write music in tablature form, being that I am a self taught player. I wish I could help more, but really all I can say is it's in the key of D minor. Consider it a challenge and try to have fun with it! That's actually how I learned to play; by figuring out solos on other peoples records... yes records! I guess I am giving away my age here.

Thanks for listening!

Douglas A. Ott said:
I'm sorry to say that I do not have any tabs for any of my music. I don't know how to read or write music in tablature form, being that I am a self taught player. I wish I could help more, but really all I can say is it's in the key of D minor. Consider it a challenge and try to have fun with it! That's actually how I learned to play; by figuring out solos on other peoples records... yes records! I guess I am giving away my age here.

Thanks for listening!

Oh, thanks Doug :) It is ok. You already helped enough. Cause I didn't know that you don't know to read or write tablature. That is great, cause you're making excellent music, even you don't know the theorical stuff. You must be "gifted" :) I think i can work the solo out someway. Thanks for reply.

Hey Doug..

When you play live, you always nail your solos.

So do you just remember how to play them from when you created them? I mean how do you know how to recreate it with out writing down those hudreds of notes in some shape or form?

Just curious :) Thanks!

PeruvianTide said:
Hey Doug..

When you play live, you always nail your solos.

So do you just remember how to play them from when you created them? I mean how do you know how to recreate it with out writing down those hudreds of notes in some shape or form?

Just curious :) Thanks!

I wouldn't say that I always nail them, but I sure as hell try!

It depends really: some songs just come instantly back to me and others I've had to go back and try and figure out how I fingered certain licks or runs. But mostly I remember how I approached the solo and it triggers my memory banks. I have to say though, one of the things I love about playing live is that feeling of being on the edge and not being to sure what you are going to play. Then right at the last second having your fingers just go where they are supposed to. I've become pretty confident in that area and just trust my ability to recall on the spot. It works about 99% of the time. I do remember one time on tour when it didn't though; It was on the Break tour and I totally spaced out at the modulation in "The Thirst" solo and couldn't for the life of me remember what the heck I was supposed to do even though I had been doing it every night on tour. I ended up playing some real creative dive bombs and such... not my finest moment. I remember Al Morse saying something like " Real interesting solo in The Thirst tonight!" Oh well!

FYI - I do know music theory, just not how to write tablature.

Hey doug, in the studio do you improvise the solos to some degree? i get the sense that most of your stuff is thought out but once in a while you let it rip.