Sirenia-At Sixes And Sevens

Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Sirenia-At Sixes And Sevens
Napalm Records, 2002

sirenia_cover.jpg

Sirenia is the new band of former Tristania singer-guitarist and also songwriter, Morten Veland. He quit Tristania in early 2001 for personal and musical differences and wanted to follow his own way. Even if At Sixes and Sevens has been titled in many reviews as the follow-up to Tristania`s `Beyond The Veil` album don't expect a Tristania copy. Basically we can consider Sirenia as Veland's solo-project, because he has done everything by himself, supported by only a few guest musicians.

The shortest way to describe Sirenia`s music is to say it is gothic-atmospheric-metal. But I rather like to call it atmospheric rock with some kind of dark romanticism in it. This is exactly the kind of music that will play on your feelings and emotions. Sirenia's music is a mixture of their black, death, doom, gothic and rock influences and you can also find progressive and classical elements in it. The semi-brutal, deep growling or the distorted vocals give a bit of aggressiveness and dynamism to the music while the clean, strain less female and male vocals are like light soaring above the music. We can hear the voice of Kristian Gundersen who helps with the clean vocals and the beautiful singing of Fabienne Gondamin who is from France. The varied vocals with the whispering and with the operatic choirs and the sound of the classical instruments complete the dark-gothic feeling of the album. I especially like the piano parts in the song 'Sister Nightfall'. Listening to the sound of this instrument gives me the illusion of the waving water, that is very, very nice. Pete Johansen(The Sins of Thy Beloved, The Scarr) plays on the violin, always giving the perfect mood to the songs, being melancholic or nervous. Hans Henrik Varland handles the keyboards, taking some songs into futuristic dimensions like 'In A Manica' and 'A Shadow Of Your Own Self'.

The songs are very well written, showing the skills of Veland as a songwriter. The slower, atmospheric parts are followed by quick, aggressive parts and in reverse, finding the balance for creating something beautiful but dark. They are filled with catchy melodies and refrains but also with pulsating emotions. But what a contradiction, each song differs from the others but overall the whole album sounds the same. I definitely prefer the first half of the album, the first five songs are tremendous, I almost learnt their lyrics by heart after only a few listens and I can even hear their melodies in my ears if I just think about them. But the other songs sound more typical to me. Of course they are good, but the above-mentioned 5 songs have much more to offer.

At Sixes And Sevens will pleasure the fans of gothic music and will gain also new listeners to the band. It's a very strong gothic album, showing the different sides of the Gothic's spirit.

Traclist:
1. Meridian
2. Sister Nightfall
3. On The Wane
4. In A Manica
5. At Sixes And Sevens
6. Lethargica
7. Manic Aeon
8. A Shadow Of Your Own Self
9. In Sumerian Haze

Playing time: 54:02

Sirenia