\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Six Feet Under - 13 (3-Song Sampler)
Metal Blade - CDPRO796-2 - 22/03/05
By Patrick Walsh

six_feet_under-13.jpg

In light of last year's atrocious Graveyard Classics 2, to say I wasn't expecting much from this release would be a pretty bold understatement. In a state of presumable mercy on the part of Metal Blade i've been presented with a three-track sampler of Six Feet Under's newest platter 13 instead of the full thing. Why they wouldn't just hand over the finished article is beyond me, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in this release.

If this all sounds rather negative, then let me remind you all of the aural gang-rape I was subjected from being force-fed this tripe. Well 13 (judging from these three tracks at least) is nowhere near as worthless as their destruction of AC/DC's album, but it's still hard to understand just what continues to draw so many people to Six Feet Under. Chris Barnes has long since exhausted the reverance he achieved through his involvement with Cannibal Corpse, and has been treading thin ice for many a year now with a series of releases ranging from so-so to dire, and 13 is unlikely to buck this trend. 'Shadow of the Reaper' is a catchy enough number with enough spring in its step to get the head nodding, and Barnes even does a half-decent vocal performance in places. 'The Poison Hand' meanwhile sounds like it could have been an outtake of that dreaded ...Classics 2 album, being a sludgy groove-based number that plods along without ever really going anywhere in particular. Finally, 'The Art of Headhunting' turns out to be quite an engaging death metal blast; fast, groovy and a reminder as to how Six Feet Under can actually churn out some decent material when they put their minds to it. Once again, 13 looks set to have the Six Feet Under die-hards sighing in relief whilst the rest of us look on in bewilderment.

5.5/10

Six Feet Under's Official Website
Metal Blade Records' Official Website

"Haunted" is an absoleutly killer album, though I haven't heard anything else by the band. I'll probably end up getting this to see what direction they've taken, I love the stoner groove with DM vocals stuff they've put together. If I buy the full-length album, I'll give it a review here. :)