circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Slacks – Terrestrial
Translation Loss Records – TL12 – November 15th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

slackst.jpg

I fell head over heels for Slacks’s debut, and their sophomore effort showcases enough improvement to surpass the delectable Slacks! with no complications. Still mostly instrumental, Terrestrial is much more streamlined than its predecessor as well as more cohesive, which is perhaps the result of such narrowed focus. I mean, in all seriousness, this whimsical group has upended me with their sheer talent, and their music is both oddly alluring and gratifying on a variety of levels.

Those of you who were sensible enough to trap Slacks! for your devouring pleasure will notice that this is a slight improvement, though in about every area possible. The foursome meshes wonderfully, whereas the debut’s lineup felt more like a free-for-all in which members were engaged in some eccentric project. There are a few guest contributions, but for the most part, Slacks seem like a defined unit. The bluegrass/country/blues vibrations are omnipresent too, and that can be attributed to the appearance of the acoustic guitar, clean electric guitar, and of course the oh-so-likeable banjo. Rather than making just cameos, said instruments get played frequently, plus there aren’t any style deviations like on their former release. While there aren’t as many tracks that’ll grip you outright – at least when compared to Slacks! – Terrestrial is a stronger release on the whole, as certain ditties will prove. “Shoot ‘em Up” is the lead-in, and though it’s slow goings at first, the volume gradually increases. Relaying a surprising amount of feeling, “Shoot ‘em Up” has the familiar banjo twangs in addition to the classic clean guitar leads. At 2:15, the opus bursts with emotion, reminding me that there is value outside of metal’s walls. When everything converges on “Marrs,” though, it draws out similar reactions. Out of seven tracks, the only two that feature vocals are “On the Kennebec” and “The Man Who Couldn’t Rage”; I’m partial to the instrumentals myself, but the aforementioned do indeed warrant a few listens.

It may seem like I’m not as excited about this as I was with their prior outing, and I guess I’m not since I’ve already seen what they can do. Despite the lack of infectious songs – excluding “Shoot ‘em Up” and “Marrs” – this is a cut above Slacks!. I can’t recommend these rustic fellows enough, and it looks like Slacks aren’t just for wearing anymore. Either way, you’ll want to try them on for size.

8.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Slacks Website
Official Translation Loss Records Website