slate kick eq

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
anyone ever notice in addition to the massive amounts of low end you end up cutting in slate kicks there is always a nasty like "muffled" thump arond the 130hz range in a lot of the kicks???

i always end up cutting there.

nothing extraordinary , highpass 50-60hz , sometimes maybe just -5 lowshelf at 90hz can do the trick with the sublows instead of highpassing it, a little cut in the lowmidrange , perhaps the same area where you boost your snare , and of course some high boosting in the right frecuency for the choosen kick. many of the non metal kicks sounds great for metal too .

yeah i mean i always eq it anyway when i use it but was just wondering about the 110-130 thing. always end up cutting a good amount there upto 5-6 db sometimes with a narrow q to get the "thud" out that doesn't help my mix. just was curious with other experiences. sometimes the thud works sometimes it doesn't

yeah on pretty much every kick i end up going upto 70-75 on the waves ssl eq and hipass then usually cut somethin in the lowend-lowmids.

the beaters are always fine i haven't found myself having to boost anything ever.