slate drums always getting buried

you got to eq your samples accordingly to the mix, eg your guitar tonalities, vocal tonalities and bass tonalities can swallow your drum mix, i always find some pumping compression helps to so you can krank it up a little more in your mix and have it more filled out and dynamic in the mix

lol @ the last part....the point of compression is to remove dynamic contrast. so by adding compression ill get better dynamics?

lol @ the last part....the point of compression is to remove dynamic contrast. so by adding compression ill get better dynamics?

Yes, artificial dynamics resulting from the pumping of the compression, largely controlled by the attack and release settings

no dude i was being sarcastic, adding compression can't help your dynamics other than to control them...if you're using an expander or something of that nature or making your compressor behave like an expander which by you mentioning the attack/release controls then you may have something...but it sounds like he's talking about headroom and expansion, not compression

well by dynamics i mean..ok im prob gona explain this a bit weird but

ok when i add eg a sidechain compression to part of my drums etc and lock it in with eg the bass or keys or something else you can make it pump in the mix, even remove the sidechain comping and just comp it and you can make your drums feel more...bouncy. by that i mean dynamics in the mix. it helps give a feeling of movement in the mix as well as do everything else compression does.

like bus your drum kit and put a hard compressor it it (eg the rocket compressor with the sex drugs etc preset) and you can immediately hear it jumping in and out of volume creating a feeling of movement therefore making it more dynamic.

no? maybe i need an ear transplant

well by dynamics i mean..ok im prob gona explain this a bit weird but

ok when i add eg a sidechain compression to part of my drums etc and lock it in with eg the bass or keys or something else you can make it pump in the mix, even remove the sidechain comping and just comp it and you can make your drums feel more...bouncy. by that i mean dynamics in the mix. it helps give a feeling of movement in the mix as well as do everything else compression does.

like bus your drum kit and put a hard compressor it it (eg the rocket compressor with the sex drugs etc preset) and you can immediately hear it jumping in and out of volume creating a feeling of movement therefore making it more dynamic.

no? maybe i need an ear transplant

Nope, I hear ya dude, that's what I was talking about a couple of posts up!

ahh so u mean making the compression "effect" more noticable, so like late 90's drum sound, like listen to Issues by korn and it's all over it. like the drums were never compressed individually but sent to a bus and set a late attack and really early release....some people love it, some people hate it.....i personally hate it, compression should be as transparent as possible, that way it's doing its job

Just a little question if you don't mind me asking:

Which post-contemporaneous production technique are you using, that requires the drums panned to the right? :erk:

EDIT: I know how's it spelled, just a typo so... don't be a fucking dick :lol:

A) English isn't his native language, don't be a fucking dick.

B) Maybe he was being sarcastic, don't be a fucking dick.

C) Bad mouthing James' production chops just because you don't see his name in lights is something you just don't do here. Go to the rate my mix/tone forum and you'll most likely find something he's worked on in there. Don't be a fucking dick.

D) "don't like slate samples? make your own!" don't be a fucking dick. who do you think would buy your sample pack when there's a pack out there done by a professional producer with access to the best tools and rooms money can buy?

E) Since when does compression HAVE to be totally transparent? You happy to just keep using a plugin the same way day in day out and not try and discover new shit you can do with it? Don't be a fucking dick.

F) The link you posted doesn't work for me. Dropbox it, don't be a fucking dick.

G) Don't be a fucking dick.

EDIT: Erik is uploading it for me, he's not being a fucking dick <3
<3<3<3<3

Just heard that mp3.

Multoc, your production sucks.
You have NO right to come in here and start badmouthing STEVEN FUCKING SLATE and James.
Slate is a fucking professional. You aren't.
James WILL be a professional one day. His production's already of an incredible level of quality, he just has to get his name out now.
I can't say I'm anywhere near as sure that you'll hit the big time.

Get your head out of your ass and all will be forgiven, but right now, your holier than thou attitide has made me dislike you in a big way.
Get fucking real.

<3

I think you made your point in that earlier post man. Light that pipe and chill it dude ;)

Back on topic:
From the demos i've heard on this board, I've never gotten the impression that the slate samples seems buried int he mix, but I don't own any slate samples myself... yet. I think I'll wait for his emtal expansion before I make my choice between what set I will pick up.

Never hurts to hammer the point home.

And concerning the buried factor with slate samples, I usually try and tailor my mix to Slate's samples rather than the other way around.
It's probably something I'm doing wrong, rather than something Steven's done wrong, y'know?
I do usually blend other samples in though. I like mixing shittons of samples together for big frankensnares.

I do usually blend other samples in though. I like mixing shittons of samples together for big frankensnares.

Careful with the transients cancelling each other out though. I've found that layering too many things actually detracts from the subtleties of a transient and the MEAT of samples that translate across systems. But if it's workin' for ya, by all means! :)