slate drums always getting buried

Careful with the transients cancelling each other out though. I've found that layering too many things actually detracts from the subtleties of a transient and the MEAT of samples that translate across systems. But if it's workin' for ya, by all means! :)

I usually take one of the samples, add it to a new track and compress it so it's just a popping noise, then mix that in for the attack.

Just heard that mp3.

Multoc, your production sucks.
You have NO right to come in here and start badmouthing STEVEN FUCKING SLATE and James.
Slate is a fucking professional. You aren't.
James WILL be a professional one day. His production's already of an incredible level of quality, he just has to get his name out now.
I can't say I'm anywhere near as sure that you'll hit the big time.

Get your head out of your ass and all will be forgiven, but right now, your holier than thou attitide has made me dislike you in a big way.
Get fucking real.

<3

Where did I badmouth anyone? I came in and said if you don't like his samples (based on the topic of this thread) then make your own...id only just heard of Mr. slates samples the other day...its not that hard though to make your own. I'll post my own and you'll enjoy them.

As for my production skills you can't judge based on a take first draft take home mix...theres a disclaimer right there. so you can just calm yourself

as for holier than thou attitude, im simply trying to correct incorrect terminology so when someone goes to a professional recording engineer and says "oh i compress to give more dynamics" they don't get laughed at which would happen....I've been there and done that, I've been to all the trade shows where little kids go to their heroes at the Focusrite or digidesign booths and walk away unhappy. Or I've been working concerts where someone goes to the FOH and try to talk shop...

Is that a threat?
I'll post them and you'll like em god dammit! lol

naw I just know from what I've heard of a lot of samples mine sound pretty good..even andy sneap's snare sample is just way too dry and dead sounding for my tastes...a lot of people on another recording forum love my Lars Ulrich Snare tuned loose gog file

On my best behaviour as always Sean.

And multoc, we all know how easy it is to make your own snare samples, but fact of the matter is, YOURS SUCK.
Slate is a fucking professional producer, with his name up in lights.
You're a no name until proven otherwise. And with slate samples it's less a matter of liking them or not liking them, because anyone with a working set of ears can hear thet they're good as fuck.
they're tailored to just snap into a well made mix with as little trouble as possible, so if youre having trouble with slate samples and your mixes, chances are youve mixed the rest of the track badly. making your own shitty samples will not improve your mix.
and also, dont post a first draft mix if you dont want to be judged by it. You post a mix going LOL DONT LIKE SLATE SAMPLES MAKE YOUR OWN LOLOLOL and you knew deep down you were going to get fucking judged for whatever the content of the mp3 was, good or bad, you knew you'd get judged, so don't use that bullshit argument.
and the chimaira sample's are too dry? Add some fucking reverb and quit bitching.
and on where you badmouthed james:
"well i dont hear his junk anywhere, googling his banner didn't yield any results....so i can't take him seriously until i hear his golden mixes=)"
just shows how well you know this forum. i dont proclaim to be like
TEH ULTRA VETERAN OF TEH AGES or some shit
but ive been here long enough to know james is a good as fuck engineer. i made the mistake of coming into this forum and being a cunt to the regs within my first few posts, and i tried to rectify it fairly quickly.
there's still certain people that warrant my foul temper though, and so far you're proving to be one of them.

and as far as thinking your own samples are good? well thats great, we all think our shit stinks better than everyone elses at times, but the consensus is that your samples suck. So you best get tweaking.

btw, don't be a fucking dick
<3<3<3
love and candy to all involved and all that gay shit

hehe, this thread is going a little strange...

i love the slate stuff, and i am using it since i have them. but come on guys. dont be that arrogant to say that slate is god and moltoc is a worm in a dead dogs mouth....music is all about taste and art and having fun. i was smiling when i was listening to moltocs shit. i like it. i also like the awesome hyper modern gojira sound, and i going crazy when i am listening to exploiteds punks not dead album :headbang: metal is verry mathematic these days, but does that mean, that the old slayer records suck?
if the music needs garage than make garage, and if u like that, than make garage all over your life, but that do not mean, that u r not allowed to post something in a producer forum because u r not "god" like slate.

On my best behaviour as always Sean.

And multoc, we all know how easy it is to make your own snare samples, but fact of the matter is, YOURS SUCK.
Slate is a fucking professional producer, with his name up in lights.
You're a no name until proven otherwise. And with slate samples it's less a matter of liking them or not liking them, because anyone with a working set of ears can hear thet they're good as fuck.
they're tailored to just snap into a well made mix with as little trouble as possible, so if youre having trouble with slate samples and your mixes, chances are youve mixed the rest of the track badly. making your own shitty samples will not improve your mix.
and also, dont post a first draft mix if you dont want to be judged by it. You post a mix going LOL DONT LIKE SLATE SAMPLES MAKE YOUR OWN LOLOLOL and you knew deep down you were going to get fucking judged for whatever the content of the mp3 was, good or bad, you knew you'd get judged, so don't use that bullshit argument.
and the chimaira sample's are too dry? Add some fucking reverb and quit bitching.
and on where you badmouthed james:
"well i dont hear his junk anywhere, googling his banner didn't yield any results....so i can't take him seriously until i hear his golden mixes=)"
just shows how well you know this forum. i dont proclaim to be like
TEH ULTRA VETERAN OF TEH AGES or some shit
but ive been here long enough to know james is a good as fuck engineer. i made the mistake of coming into this forum and being a cunt to the regs within my first few posts, and i tried to rectify it fairly quickly.
there's still certain people that warrant my foul temper though, and so far you're proving to be one of them.

and as far as thinking your own samples are good? well thats great, we all think our shit stinks better than everyone elses at times, but the consensus is that your samples suck. So you best get tweaking.

btw, don't be a fucking dick
<3<3<3
love and candy to all involved and all that gay shit

That wasn't directed at you dude
It was directed at the new guy
hahahaha
He seems to be a little too confident, considering he's had under 10 posts on this forum
Just to make things clear
I like the way you get your point across:)
hahahahahahaha

I've compiled a few bits of advice for those who need it:

The thought of getting your first period can be pretty scary - and it gets even more overwhelming when it actually happens. But, the good thing is that every girl has to go through it at some point and the process can be made a lot less frightening if you know how to prepare for it. Check out these helpful tips and tricks on dealing with THAT time of the month!

A Girl's First Period - Hurry Up Already!
It can be frustrating when it seems like you're the last one of your friends to get your period. The thing is, everybody's bodies develop at their own pace and it's highly unlikely that you and your best bud will start your periods at the exact same time. Things to look for that mean your period is on its way are underarm and pubic hair, breast growth and white, vaginal discharge. The average girl will get her first period around 12 years old, but this definitely varies from person to person. If you're ever concerned about your body's development, check in with your family doctor to see what they think!

A Girl's First Period - The Dreaded Day
While we never know exactly when our first period is going to come, we can make the experience a little less dramatic by making sure we are prepared. This means talking to your mom or other trusted adult about what you can expect before it actually happens. You should start carrying pads around with you in advance to getting your period so that when it finally arrives, you aren't scrambling to find some. If you find yourself stuck at school without a pad or tampon, go talk to your school nurse or counselor. They will be more than willing to help you out!

A Girl's First Period - A Regular Visit
When your first period finally arrives, don't be too worried if it doesn't stick around for long. It can sometimes take your body a few months or even a few years to get into a regular pattern. Periods usually come every 28 to 30 days and last for three to seven days. But, if it doesn't follow that schedule right away, it's not the end of the world. You may want to discuss abnormalities with your family doctor though, just to make sure your body is 100% healthy.

A Girl's First Period - Embarrassing Mishaps
Part of becoming a woman is dealing with all the embarrassing period mishaps. If at any point while at school your period leaks through your clothing, excuse yourself to the office and get them to call the 'rents to bring you something to change into. Keeping some spare pants and underwear in your locker is always a good idea (even if it's just your gym strip). Avoid wearing white or light-colored pants and underwear during the week of your period to cut down on the chance of visible leakage as well.

A Girl's First Period - Basic Supplies
- While getting your first period is an exciting event, it unfortunately can come with some uncomfortable side-effects. Take a look at what you'll need to battle these symptoms head on. An adequate supply of pads and/or tampons.
- A change of clothes kept in your locker at school.
- Tylenol or Advil.
- A hot water bottle.
- Lots of chocolate!

wtf¯\(°_o)/¯
haha

Don't have the time to read the entire thread, but...

I usually find if I start a mix with the Slates on kick and snare, without processing them other than maybe some compression and limiting, and I build the rest of the mix up around that I have no issues at all with getting a balanced mix at all.

This is all assuming I've picked the correct kick and snare for the overall mix vibe I'm going for, and that my choice works with the song as well.

I've been able to get much more balanced mixes by just leaving Slates samples alone for the most part, and using them as a gauge for the rest of my mix. It's actually been quite helpful for me.

I find that when you eliminate the hum from the kick there's almost no beef left, even with that really sharp Q dip.

Hey Steven, I'm curious why in your list of snare/kick samples you'd recommend for metal it didn't look like any of the samples in the "M&M" pack wer recommended??? Unless you just meant those are a given and the others you listed were just in addition to.

That aside, for me I find that the Slate samples are so crisp and squeaky clean that sometimes I have problems getting them to sit in a (less than stellar recorded) drum mix properly. It's almost like they stick out like a sore thumb because all of the original tracks are so dirty compared to the Slate samples. I don't mean that as an insult, whenever I replace anything with Slate's stuff the quality difference is laughable, and being able to aggressivly eq the close mic's without the downsides of bringing up the bleed is money. But I find the more I try to completely replace the thinner the drums get and more buried. I seem to get better results leaving the original Snare/Tom tracks in there, just lower in the mix and also find myself not gating the high hat mic either (just eq the crud out and leave the bleed). I guess in this case bleed is a good thing lol.

The one thing I can say from my experience is that in heavily replaced recordings (ie nothing left but overheads, room, and hat), I've never been able to get any good results without heavy compression on the close mics, room mics, and parallel compression. I also always use 2-3 snares. Have never had any luck getting 1 single snare to sound thick enough. For crack I really like 15 & 18, and body I really like 22, 12A, and 20, but I've been experimenting with others lately too.

I'm no pro, but that's my 2 cents.

EDIT:

Doh, just realized this was an old thread. I don't think M&M existed when this started, my bad.

ruckus, if you find the slate samples sound too polished compared to the overheads etc.. try this:

- eq the overheads and put some slight ambience on them
- compress the slate samples (they take nicely to compression)
- send the whole drum mix to a stereo compression and squash a bit

All of the above will start to make the whole drum sound "gel" more.