Slayer Guitarist Jeff Hanneman Dead at 49

Johnny Blade

Nov 1, 2012
This just sucks:

Slayer made the news public on Thursday afternoon, announcing that the band "is devastated" and calling Hanneman, who was 49, their bandmate and brother. Twitter quickly filled with messages from fans and fellow musicians, many of whom were in Los Angeles for the 5th Annual Revolver Golden Gods Awards show at Club Nokia.

Hanneman has been off the road since early 2011, when he contracted necrotizing fasciitis -- most likely from a spider bite -- a quick-progressing disease that literally eats away at the flesh from deep layers of skin and tissue. Exodus' Gary Holt stood in for Hanneman starting in February of 2011, while Pat O'Brien joined the band when Holt returned to Exodus during 2011.

It's not known what role the disease played in Hanneman's liver failure.

Throughout the ordeal, Hanneman's bandmates expressed optimism that he would one day return to the group full-time. Bassist-singer Tom Araya told Billboard during last year's Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival tour that Hanneman was "free of the disease" and was "working on his playing ability...He's working on strengthening his arm and his ability to play." He predicted that Slayer would "probably get together and start writing together and start making a new album," the group's first since 2009's "World Painted Blood," with Hanneman contributing material.

I was pissed and bummed when I read about it :( Thank you for everything Jeff. Slayer can retire now.

I was on my way to Chicago when I heard about this. At first I did not believe it just thought it was one of those rumors that pop up every once in a while about x band person dying in a plane crash or whatever, besides this was a Slayer guy and they can't die. It is so strange how a passing like this with someone I don't know strikes me so, more so than even a relative. Perhaps it is what people like Slayer have inadvertently done for my life. A tragedy like this removes that illusion of immortality that such figures have.
I knew he was pretty bad off but did not know it was to such an extend.
I met him once and he was a really nice and down to earth guy, can't say that much about Kerry. And I'm glad I got to see Slayer once before this happened. I'll never forgive myself for passing up Clash of the Titans, but at least I would catch them years later.
When I was a kid thumbing through Power Metal, and Kerrang issues I remember thinking Slayer was the ultimate and you gratuated to that is some strange way. There was nothing more evil, aggressive, and metal than Slayer and that is just how it was. So my first was 'South of Heaven' and at that time I was ready, it is what I needed, and what I wanted.,, damn that was a long time ago.:lol:
So many of us owe a lot to Slayer regardless if it was kids who would grow up and play, thrash fans, or just adolescence into metal. And if you don't like Slayer then you don't like metal. And if you grew up thinking you are a metalhead and wrote of Slayer then you are probably wearing a Winger shirt pussy.:lol:
note; I did have a Winger shirt, it just came long after Slayer came into my life.