SLAYER guys form christian band

lol what a bunch of bullshit. I had no idea Araya was Catholic, and I had no idea the lyrics were all just an 'act.'

What a fucking phony.

That's fine then, maybe Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman can go find another band to melt faces with.

Metal noobie? ... must be to think they were actually satanists and serious all these years. I guess you think Venom was serious as well. If it bothers you if a band is serious about such things or not then your in for a rude awakening because alot of bands just use such things as a gimmick or for shock value.

Thats silly. Hope i don't offend anyone but, people who actually believe in satanism need psychiatric examinations. Maybe the logic just fails me. Its one thing to think counter religion is cool because of what religion has become, its completely different to be serious about it. Slayer is good how it is, a mature form of angst directed at christianity. Anyone can identify with that.

Yes, logic does fail you. And Satanism is as much a religion as Christianity. I'm not really either/or religion. I would probably fall into atheist and/or agnostic. But of those two "religions", one would not exist without the other because they both need to rant about the other. Make sense? I think so.

Anyways I think your lack of knowledge on Satanism makes you stereotype and judge something that you do not understand in order for you to tell followers of that religion or any religion for that matter that they need psychiatric help. Much like Christians say such things about Wicca, a religion they stereotype and do not understand as well. Or how we stereotype Islam in that we think it condones terrorism etc.

what i think is silly is people dismiss satanism and say its silly to be serious about it as if christianity is really much better. lets be realistic, christianity and catholicism has done worse, id venture to say. just because its supposed to be the "bad guys", doesnt really make it so in my eyes. like i said, i would doubt satanism has done worse than christianity has. either way, as a general statement, "they" invented satanism when they invented christianity.

im neither, though. i dont believe that any religion humans have developed is anything close to being the truth. while i believe in something, its beyond comprehension and i wont begin to make assumptions, nor follow the assumptions of old, dead, power-hungry, hypocritical people who designed any given religion.

I'm not sure it's true... But that's extremely cool if it's true. That's how I feel sometimes, I'm a devout athiest and anti-religion person but sometimes I just get the urge to walk into a church and sit down. This move would show some depth with Slayer.

Nothing would tarnish the worth of their anti-religion lyrics. I don't think it's true, anyway.

Yes, logic does fail you. And Satanism is as much a religion as Christianity. I'm not really either/or religion. I would probably fall into atheist and/or agnostic. But of those two "religions", one would not exist without the other because they both need to rant about the other. Make sense? I think so.

Anyways I think your lack of knowledge on Satanism makes you stereotype and judge something that you do not understand in order for you to tell followers of that religion or any religion for that matter that they need psychiatric help. Much like Christians say such things about Wicca, a religion they stereotype and do not understand as well. Or how we stereotype Islam in that we think it condones terrorism etc.

actually i know quite a bit about satanism. but i meant to say the church of satan (or whichever one has the orgys).

i like the not harming children thing though. :)

If this is true, I say more power to them. If Araya and Lombardo want to make a Christian band, let them they are grown men. If this is true, I don't think it would really effect Slayer much anyways, it just seems like a project to do in their off time.

Because their lyrical theme is a "act". It's no different then let's say a jewish (Roman Polanski) director making Satanic Horror movies (Rosemary's Baby, The Ninth Gate etc.) and going home to his jewish or christian wife and kids. They leave work at work and home is for home life.
Nice observation but a little different considering a movie is only a short chapter of ones life.

poundingmetal74 said:
I'm a "Catholic", although I don't practice or necessarily susbcribe to much
of anything it says, so your number is a lot further from zero than you'd
think..
No, I doubt that any "practicing" :)lol:) catholics would be involved in delivering such messgaes over such a protracted period of their life.
poundingmetal74 said:
Dave Mustaine is a born again, but it certainly hasn't impacted his music in
the least. If it keeps the band in the right direction, and they continue to
write good music, then why be bothered about it?
Ok guys, techincally my original post was flawed. Of course one can “technically” be a catholic and be in a band like Slayer. I am “technically” a catholic and Im the singer for a band called Jesus Anal Penetration. Am I a practising catholic or not? I have a strong dislike towards religion of anykind in my heart and in my mind. I also familiar with Araya's views, Ive read countless interviews since the 1980's and
that's why I spend time here because I'm oldschool in stature and taste.

I don't expect Slayer (or wish them) to sacrfice people on stage or even practice dark arts. I know money is what everyone needs and that's obviously what they're after as they get older or they have, as I said earlier, lost their marbles and look to make themselves feel better for all the bad things they've said.

Surely you cant deny that he makes a terrible catholic by being involved in that band. I make a terrible catholic singing the lyrics in my band too but I do not believe you can honestly be a catholic in heart or mind and sing words of that nature.

So I could always say, "gee god, I didn't mean all those things I said about you or killing your priests. It was just a song and I was hoping to make some money, please forgive me so I can join you in heaven" Yeah I don't think so buddy... You can say “hey its just a day job” but they're the words coming out of your mouth and IF I could be bothered, Im sure it wouldn't be too hard to find something (manythings infact) in the bible about honouring your god with your words etc. Maybe Araya should start praying the day of rapture doesn't hit until they release their next record!

IMO Slayer are not writing anything worthy anymore and likely never will but Megadeth are; so please spare me those comparisons because Megadeth havent based their entire career on satan, hell and sacrfice. A slight difference there, I believe…

Metal on:headbang:

Religion is subjective, bra. Some people believe you can't get into heaven if you masturbate once in your life. Other people think you can get into heaven after massacring a thousand people if you simply believe that Jesus is the saviour. You can't really say that they can't get into Heaven based on what you believe to be what is considered good catholic activity. Maybe they believe that God is fine with what they did.

But still, I don't believe that this is truely happening.

Have Slayer *ever* been associated with *any* kind of religious Satanism? I'm not sure I'd call their themes a gimmick, Araya is clearly a gigantic hypocrite, confused Christian and whatever else you want to call him, but there were other people in the band. Araya was still writing shitty lyrics about vampires when the Hanneman and King were writing their "Satanic" stuff - of course this material consisted of metaphors to illustrate anti-christian/religious, pro-individuality, and personal power themes. To my knowledge they were, and still are serious about that sort of stuff. Remember who the creative core of the band was.

Not to my knowledge. You mean a post in this tread?

Then it was a mistake in my part. I'd post what I said earlier now.

Recently, Slayer have been making rather questionable moves. Their recent albums are poor and not to mention touring along with Marilyn Manson and being sponsered by Hot Topic. Also, releasing their new EP in that chain. I read earlier Tom Araya was Catholic but if he's actually making a Christian band that is quite lame. Metal was made to challenge Christianity. Now that I think about it, maybe Araya is talking about disbanding Slayer soon because he doesnt feel comfortable doing Slayer songs as a Catholic.

I think most of you are missing the point. Slayer made songs about Satan as a metaphor (suffering) and it is not like they literally believe in Satan. Also, as already as mentioned, they pulled off the Satanic act for their image.

Then it was a mistake in my part. I'd post what I said earlier now.

Recently, Slayer have been making rather questionable moves. Their recent albums are poor and not to mention touring along with Marilyn Manson and being sponsered by Hot Topic. Also, releasing their new EP in that chain. I read earlier Tom Araya was Catholic but if he's actually making a Christian band that is quite lame. Metal was made to challenge Christianity. Now that I think about it, maybe Araya is talking about disbanding Slayer soon because he doesnt feel comfortable doing Slayer songs as a Catholic.

I think most of you are missing the point. Slayer made songs about Satan as a metaphor (suffering) and it is not like they literally believe in Satan. Also, as already as mentioned, they pulled off the Satanic act for their image.

1. It is irrelevant who they tour with or where their merchandise is sold.
2. Slayer is not disbanding over Tom's beliefs. He has been open about these beliefs for at least 20 years. There is an interview of him during the South of Heaven tour where he openly admits his beliefs. I doubt that now 20 years later they are causing conflict with the band.
3. The whole Christian band thing was an april fools joke.

1. It is irrelevant who they tour with or where their merchandise is sold.
2. Slayer is not disbanding over Tom's beliefs. He has been open about these beliefs for at least 20 years. There is an interview of him during the South of Heaven tour where he openly admits his beliefs. I doubt that now 20 years later they are causing conflict with the band.
3. The whole Christian band thing was an april fools joke.

1. Do you know what Hot Topic is? They are a bad joke. I find it irritating when King takes bashes on religion and Christianity, intentionally making that feud with Machine Head and lets that chain sponser them. Later Slayer are weak anyway and King should just worry about his own band then just trying to brew up controversy.

2. If that is true, I am surprised. I knew he was Catholic earlier but I did not think he was from that earlier on. Do you have a link or can you give me a brief summary of that.

3. If that is true, they got me for sure. :lol:

considering what catholicism and christianity have done in the past, yes, you can argue that Araya is a good catholic even while being in slayer.

though, i dont support religion in most ways. basically, my views on religion is equivalent to those of King's.

1. Do you know what Hot Topic is? They are a bad joke. I find it irritating when King takes bashes on religion on Christianity, intentionally making that feud with Machine Head and lets that chain sponser them. Later Slayer are weak anyway and King should just worry about his own band then just trying to brew up controversy.

2. If that is true, I am surprised. I knew he was Catholic earlier but I did not think he was from that earlier on. Do you have a link or can you give me a brief summary of that.

3. If that is true, they got me for sure. :lol:

1. I don't care where their merch is sold. I wouldn't care if I was in a band. Hell Darkthrone sells shit thru Hot Topic.
2. http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=25172 Click the link at the bottom that says "to read the full article".
3. :loco:

:lol: Don't blame me, Wyvern got fooled first.

I didn't got fooled.

a) I posted like I said because I read it in another forum and I thought (and still THINK) it is funny, true or hoax

b) If I knew people would have come to such levels of controversy on such an inane subject I would have never post it.

People don't know how to have fun anymore it's like talking about politics, football or abortion. It's just a metal band, just because we are metalheads that doesn't mean we have to behave like wackos on a jihad.

Chill out, get some Valium and crank up the volume on 'War Enssemble'.

P.S. I'm not venting this at you Murai, it just a general observation on one of the silliest moments in metal history I have witnessed :rolleyes:

NP: Scale The Summit - 'Penguins In Flight'