The End Of Slayer?

Jan 6, 2006
In the land of ice and snow
Tom Araya has told Worcester magazine that the next Slayer album may be their last. In an interview discussing the Slayer/Marilyn Manson coheadlining tour, the metal legend also discussed what the future may hold for Slayer and Araya feels that the end may be near. Read an excerpt from the article:

History has shown those who precede Slayer don't have an easy time of it, as rabid fans have been known to chant the band's name throughout entire sets of opening acts. While on one hand it will be a blessing for Marilyn Manson that Araya and company will go on first each and every night, following a performance by the most potent live band in metal's history isn't going to be a cakewalk.

"A lot of bands opt for us closing, but there have been a few that wanted to close, like the Slipknot tour we did in 2004," Araya says. "We always look at the opening spot as a prime-time spot, you know what I mean? Everybody's there for prime time, which is 8 or 9 o'clock. We have no qualms as far as opening for anybody, because that means that they have to follow." Araya continues, confidently declaring, "I don't want to sound big-headed, but to us, that's considered signing your death warrant. I think that Manson's got his work cut out for him."

The 46-year-old singer/bassist does admit after spending more than half of his life entrenched within a band as aggressive as Slayer, that the end of the road may loom on the horizon. "Well, there have been remarks made about seeing an old man head-bang," laughs Araya. "And I have to agree. I think the Stones can do that, probably go out and do their stuff in their 80s, but it just wouldn't look right [for us], you know what I mean?

"It's actually pretty strenuous," he continues, "that's why I don't see it going any further than a certain point in time. We have one more record to do, which is our deal with [super producer Rick] Rubin, and we'll have to sit down and discuss the future. But I can't really see myself doing this at a later age.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/the_end_of_slayer.html

I´m not realy suprised here. Hope they come here for theyr last tour cos I have always missed theyr show.

Wow this is all over every single forum I read. Why do people care so much? The band's newer stuff is below mediocre. And the material has just degenerated over the years...

Wow this is all over every single forum I read. Why do people care so much? The band's newer stuff is below mediocre. And the material has just degenerated over the years...

because they are legends and the only thrash band of the big 4 to play something close to thrash their whole career

This is probably a smart move. Personally, I haven't found Slayer's music compelling since the mid-80's, but I've always respected their 'no-compromise' approach to their career. Still, I really do think they have done about all they can with this vehicle, and it is always best to go out on a high note.

They didn't do so great since Divine Intervention, but what a classic band. Also, they gave us the universal metalhead signal of intending to sell out... the double live album.

I've never been a fan of slayer. A few songs here and there, but have yet to buy any albums and really pay much attention. I did however see them on their 2002 tour (had free tickets) and they can still put on hell of a show.

I'd have to fully agree with what Araya said though - it is a young man's game to perform like that every night (although Rush may be the exception). I couldn't imagine doing full blown tours when I'm 50.

Most band's hit their creative and performance peak in their younger years, and slayer appears to be no exception. I do commend the band on "staying true" to their sound.

I might be in the minority, but I think thier last couple albums are really good! They are still great live and I already seen a new interview that says they are not quiting soon. It takes them 4-5 years to put out an album, so I would think they only have a couple more in them anyway. That will take them on another 10 years. Then it will be time to put them out to pasture.:lol: