SLAYER UNDER FIRE FROM CHRISTIAN GROUPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
USMC0341 said:
I don't waste my time worrying about people that I'd have to defend or explain any of this to. If I have to explain or defend anything then I don't want to have anything to dowith them.

Do you have any problems with Clive Barker or Tom Savini? Stephen King? There are horror movies out there that touch on more co0ntroversial shit than a Slayer album.

Just out of curiousity...under exactly what realm is that album cover "inappropriate"?

Everyone in the world has the right turn the page and not buy it.

JB

. said it better then me i think... now that i think about it ... christians would be offended by the slayer coverart because it depicts a truth that Christianity has had blood on it's hands since the beginning of the religion (after Christ died and the Church was formed)... i suppose Christians do not want the world reminded of the worst aspects of their religion... what will they protest next? that Mary Magdalene was not a prostitute and was really Christ's bride who carried his child? ... oops.. that has already been done.. guess they are moving on to other truths they do not want known... :rolleyes:

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Yes he has the right to say what he wants.... just do not like that he said others don't just because it offended him and his religious beliefs..

He didn't say that others don't. And he didn't say anything about his religious beliefs. Even if he had, his religious beliefs, whatever they might be, are a part of who he his and how he forms his opinions. Your beliefs, religious or not, are part of how you form opinions too.

and also since im not a religious person i usually do not like when someone is shoving their religious beliefs down my throat..

He wasn't shoving anything. He used phrases like "I personally..." and "I really wish".

but I would defend his right to say what he wants (as well as Slayer and any other groups that are deemed offensive to the status quo)to the death because i believe in freedom of speech strongly... that is just me i guess <shrugs> ....

You're coming off as someone who would defend his freedom of speech so long as you agreed with what he had to say. That would be *my* opinion.

USMC0341 said:
I don't waste my time worrying about people that I'd have to defend or explain any of this to. If I have to explain or defend anything then I don't want to have anything to dowith them.

I took it as they were already friends of his. Personally I wouldn't write off a friend for something like that. If it continued to be a problem I would seriously consider it though.

USMC0341 said:
Do you have any problems with Clive Barker or Tom Savini? Stephen King? There are horror movies out there that touch on more co0ntroversial shit than a Slayer album.

I think they're different. King's and Barker's works are labeled as fiction right out of the gate. Slayer certainly wouldn't want theirs labeled as such. Dio would be similar to King and Barker in that respect. It doesn't stop the religious zealots from going after all of them. They even went after Harry Potter for crying out loud.

USMC0341 said:
Everyone in the world has the right turn the page and not buy it.

Absolutely. Bottom line, that's it.

Wheezer said:
He didn't say that others don't. And he didn't say anything about his religious beliefs. Even if he had, his religious beliefs, whatever they might be, are a part of who he his and how he forms his opinions. Your beliefs, religious or not, are part of how you form opinions too.

He wasn't shoving anything. He used phrases like "I personally..." and "I really wish".

You're coming off as someone who would defend his freedom of speech so long as you agreed with what he had to say. That would be *my* opinion.

He did not take in the full context of the coverart.. he heard it's Christ in blood with bodyparts and automatically says its blasphemous instead of looking at the symbology of what the artwork is.... Christ is the symbol of christianity and in 2000 years of the religion it has had blood on it's hands... but instead of admitting that atrocities attributed to christianity has happened he took it as Blasphemy (and when he uses this word then yes he is injecting his religious beliefs ) automatically... ironic thing is we can attack Islam and other religions for such things and not bat a eye but when a band attacks christianity for the same thing all of a sudden its a uproar, blaphemous, disrespectful etc... yeah what i find disrespectful is the people who were killed in the name of christianity... that to me is blaphemous and disrespectful because if christianity is a "loving" religion.. love thy neighbors and all that.. then they are making a Blasphemy of the religion with the atrocities it committed (and this goes for all religions as well just to get that clear)... to me he was not giving us a opinion but a fact that it was blasphemous, disrespectful etc.. so in that sense he was shoving his religious beliefs down my throat.... i can't speak for the others in that respect... and yes i would defend his right to say anything... if you noticed... not once did i say he doesnt have the right to say anything or i didnt tell him to shut up or anything... so please do not put words in my mouth that i didnt say or mean... i would defend his freedom of speech regardless if i do not like what he says and/or disagree with him (as i would yours).. this is not a opinion but a fact... i can be very political and opinionated and i know some do not like me on this board because of it... but i never follow the status quo.. i'm my own person and when i see wrong i say so..... so que cerar cerar .... :rolleyes:

Christ is the symbol of christianity and in 2000 years of the religion it has had blood on it's hands... but instead of admitting that atrocities attributed to christianity has happened he took it as Blasphemy (and when he uses this word then yes he is injecting his religious beliefs ) automatically... ironic thing is we can attack Islam and other religions for such things and not bat a eye but when a band attacks christianity for the same thing all of a sudden its a uproar, blaphemous, disrespectful etc... yeah what i find disrespectful is the people who were killed in the name of christianity... that to me is blaphemous and disrespectful because if christianity is a "loving" religion.. love thy neighbors and all that.. then they are making a Blasphemy of the religion with the atrocities it committed (and this goes for all religions as well just to get that clear)...

I wasn't going to weigh on this topic, but this is an excellent, and honest post.
I agree wholeheartedly.

I started this so I am gonna end it:

Everybody has the right to an opinion here as long as is not an insult or a personnal attack.

Zeepie has an opinion. LIVE WITH IT AND RESPECT IT
UM has an opinion. LIVE WITH IT AND RESPECT IT
Wheezer has an opinion. LIVE WITH IT AND RESPECT IT
Marine has an opinion. LIVE WITH IT AND RESPECT IT

When I started the topic I was exemplifying intolerance by religious extremism no expecting a jihad in the name of Slayer.

After all is just a cover from an album, is like sports or politics...nothing really important for mankind. This wouldn't stop war, hunger, poverty or disease.

So now everybody shake hands and to another topic.

Peace to all :wave:

NP: Manigance - 'Prison Dore&#233;'

First my humble opinion on religion. Its holding society back and is a complete joke. Second SLAYER couldn't care less that people hate them that's why i love them. Keep up the good work SLAYER we need more people like YOU. All the holy rollers fall for there shit every time its hilarious.

locked.jpg

Not sure how old you are.... but I was around when Slayer's Reign in Blood (i think 1986) came out and trust me the hardcore christian groups did attack Slayer over that album cover.. my guess some of them are still around and haven't forgotten Slayer and see that Slayer are getting big or bigger and still see them as a threat... after all these same groups attack Marilyn Manson.. they (Conservative christian groups) look for the more popular groups... to get noticed... by the media... religion is nothing more then politics as usual... and like politicians they are all media whores...

Actually, I'll be 36 in less than 2 months. I purchased Slayer's Reign in Blood the week it was released and had to purchase the cassette while visiting my father and keep it hidden in my backpack so my Catholic mother and stepfather wouldn't find it.

Not only did the band receive flak from conservative Christian Fundies for their artwork, the lyrics for Angel of Death were enough to get them thrown off Columbia (Def Jam's releases were distributed primarily through Columbia, not Geffen) when that label's executives read the lyrics.

While I'm sure that none of these same groups have forgotten Slayer, I'm not hearing anywhere NEAR the amount of publicity for their new material; hence, my theory that the previous article is nothing more than a plant to generate publicity for the new Slayer album.

Remember, kids...always check the source! :Smug:

Wyvern said:
The problem with Slayer is bad management of the media. Kiss never got the problem as you can see :lol:

Actually, Kiss was WELL in control of their media - so much so, that the near-fatal car accident involving Peter Criss and their tour manager was kept well hidden from the press during the height of the popularity during the 1970's.

Status
Not open for further replies.