Sleeper

Metamyr said:
I don't get it... what's this song about?

You mean the lyrics? i think it is about a child facing his/her parent's death or something like that...about being an orphan i dunno exactly...
But i do reeeeeally love sleeper, beyond beautiful song

i've never even considered the album to have a theme like that before, interesting stuff! I'd love to see what the band members make of it, if their perception of the album differs! :)

BlueSky said:
Here is my perspective of the story and why Viva is the best katatonia record ever!

ghost of the sun: him trying to fit into the corporation and the way the city works.
sleeper: There are 3 children most likely and their parents have died. This song is their fear of being left alone. I think the youngest the sister (which kevo pointed out to me might be the little girl on the cover) dies of a fever.
criminals: is the crime the older brother commits toward the corporation. Also it seems like he committed this crime with a best friend who got caught right there and he had to leave his friend behind.

Just for the context, wouldn't it be more logic that the "corporation" killed or wanted to kill the sister?
that would explain the line "the way I am unable to protect you" ... or would that be about the best friend? hmm
It would anyways explain why he commited the crime you mentioned against the corporation.

btw, Thanks so much for your perspective. I can now experience the album in a much more beautiful way!

BlueSky said:
Here is my perspective of the story and why Viva is the best katatonia record ever!

ghost of the sun: him trying to fit into the corporation and the way the city works.
sleeper: There are 3 children most likely and their parents have died. This song is their fear of being left alone. I think the youngest the sister (which kevo pointed out to me might be the little girl on the cover) dies of a fever.
criminals: is the crime the older brother commits toward the corporation. Also it seems like he committed this crime with a best friend who got caught right there and he had to leave his friend behind.
a premonition: is him knowing he has to get out of dodge.
will I arrive: He leaves because he knows they will come for him and also his regret because the younger brother told him not to join the corporation in the first place. So he cuts his hair and changes how he looks.
burn the remembrance:is him coming to terms he has to leave everything he loves behind and also his brother having to lose him.
wealth: is the pain and regret for his greed that got him to where he is.
one year from now: he plans to go back and stand up against the corporation but then the year passes and he doesn't do anything.
walking by a wire: he goes back but is afraid that they will notice him because he's too young to be ignored so he leaves.
complicity: he goes back older this time but knows he can't waver this time and they will find out and kill him.
evidence: He checks on his brother because he wonders if the corporation found out the younger brother knew.
omerta: He meets up with the younger brother for the first time in years and years. They have a few drinks and then the older brother notices the younger brother has poisoned him. Was it because the corporation made the younger brother or the younger brothers anger for him leaving is all left up to your imagination.
inside the city of glass: The older brother is now dyeing and taking that lonely last walk through the city of glass..
Soo interesting...Actually I made the same predictions for some songs,but I always got stuck when I came to Evidence and I think you did too just because of the line "o love will you read the letters I would send to you..."So who's this love???I could never figure this out because there is no love if there is a concept like you and I thought...

the mourner13 said:
Soo interesting...Actually I made the same predictions for some songs,but I always got stuck when I came to Evidence and I think you did too just because of the line "o love will you read the letters I would send to you..."So who's this love???I could never figure this out because there is no love if there is a concept like you and I thought...

could be the fraternal love between the two distanced brothers..

anyway.. really liked all that stuff .. some new thoughts here! fuckyeah! :headbang:

Vincent J. said:
Just for the context, wouldn't it be more logic that the "corporation" killed or wanted to kill the sister?
that would explain the line "the way I am unable to protect you" ... or would that be about the best friend? hmm
It's another person he didn't save and I think it's a friend/best friend of his or else it wouldn't strike him as hard.

didn't jonas say that there is no concept behind viva emptiness?

despite this fact i like the imagination of a concept album :)

Well I read that as well but thats pretty much the story that comes into my head when I listen to the cd even before I read the actual lyrics. It's too bad that's not the real concept though!