Slightly off-topic.... a post Holiday revelation...

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
My Son is now five years old and I felt obligated to play Christmas music for him during these times..... at least part of the time. I had a revelation during that time. It was a very unexpected one, I must say.
Obviously just about everyone knows Celine Dion did that "Titanic" song that was good for what it was. I don't even think most metal heads over the age of 30 would say too much bad things about her, considering her voice could blow the little pigs house down that built it with bricks.
Anyway, until I was listening to a radio station playing various Christmas songs, with old and new, did I realize how good of a singer she is. She pretty much made everyone else sound like shit when she sang that particular song.... and there were several.
I would certainly not call myself a "fan" as I simply don't think I would care for the style of music she sings...... and only know the Titanic song and some Christmas songs, but I have to say this:

That woman might have the ABSOLUTE BEST voice I have ever heard in my life. I may be a metal-head, but I know who Mariah Carey and some of those other famous singers are, but they don't compare. Celine Dion is a beast of a vocalist!!!

Bryant

I have been saying for years, that she should try doing a heavy rock album, or guest vocal on a metal album.

Yeah, Celine really can sing, as opposed to most of the MTV garbage...
Carey never did it for me, her range and technique are fantastic, but she sounds so cold and mechanical to me, like a perfect human voice synthesiser - she'll sing anything you program her to.

Whitney Houston had a marvellous voice, too bad she ended up being a crackhead, thanks to her good for nothing untalented former husband. He probably ruined her just out of jealousy...

I've never had a problem with her and actually have owned one of her early cd's (s/t 1992) since 1993 or so. Not a fanatic by any stretch, but I've always respected her voice. I could direct you to certain tracks of hers, if you're interested. :D

My wife loves her and we saw her live (HER idea!) back in September 2008. She pretty much made every vocalist I've ever seen live look like a talentless hack....

Last edited:
I remember the AC/DC thing that was done on a VH1 Diva show. I was making comments about her before that aired, though. I can't count that as doing it on her own, but it proved a point that she kicked a little ass doing it.

Well, for one reason or another covers seem to pop up everywhere !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of great singers in pop music (and quite a few shitty ones too) like Dion and Whitney Houston. Too bad the music mostly sucks.

Yeah, Celine really can sing, as opposed to most of the MTV garbage...

Whitney Houston had a marvellous voice, too bad she ended up being a crackhead, thanks to her good for nothing untalented former husband. He probably ruined her just out of jealousy...

Whitney Houston was special too. She was also America`s sweetheart. Whitney may actually (in her day) have had the best control of her voice as anyone, including Celine. Even Whitney didn`t have quite the power Celine does though. The only female voice in pop/rock music (I am sure there are classically trained sopranos that do) that has Celine`s power that I have heard is Ann Wilson. However, as great as Ann is (and she is great,) her skills aren`t quite in Celine's league in other aspects.
Maybe we should all e-mail Celine and request her to do a metal cover. What would be a good song for her ?

As far as Mariah Carey.... I agree 100%. She absolutely has great pipes. She is technically incredible, but she has no soul. Tears welled up in my eyes when I first heard Celine's "My Heart Will Go On" but that has never happened with any songs by Mariah.

Bryant

Desert Plains, by Judas Priest, The Lady Wore Black, by Queensryche, or maybe Let It Go, by Loudness.

I've never had a problem with her and actually have owned one of her early cd's (s/t 1992) since 1993 or so. Not a fanatic by any stretch, but I've always respected her voice. I could direct you to certain tracks of hers, if you're interested. :D

My wife loves her and we saw her live (HER idea!) back in September 2009. She pretty much made every vocalist I've ever seen live look like a talentless hack....

I would be interested to hear what you think is her best work. If what I have heard is not her best, I would probably have to pick my jaw up off of the floor and carry it around for a while.

Bryant