slightly off-topic old-school stuff....White Lion

Pride was recorded twice. The original Pride recording was done by Peter Hauke at Hotline Studio in Frankfurt, Germany. Of course, Peter also produced Fight to Survive. The original Pride recording sounds much like Fight To Survive. It's Raw. The way rock n roll is supposed to be. It's called "Pride Take One '86" and is part of the 7 cd Box set that Tramp released back in 2004. I think only 500 copies were pressed worldwide. I have two. Everything on that Anthology cd that I was reading about comes off of the box set. I have that one as well. Between that one and the White Lion Lost Tracks, Demos & Oddities cds you could probably piece together a good bit of the boxset but you'd still be missing some of the good stuff, though. But it's better than nothing I suppose. It's all pure rock. No 80's pop mix added to it. Some Studs and Danish Lions stuff too on the Oddities cd but not everything from the box set.

The original recording has some alternate lyrics and some titles are different. An example would be that the original recording of Don't Give Up is entitled Turn It Up.And there are some other differences. I think that they should have kept Say Goodbye and added that to the second recording. It's an excellent song.

If anyone was lucky enough to snag a copy of the 7 disk box set entitled "Mike Tramp The Bootleg Series" then they'd be familiar with a lot of excellent stuff. A lot of the demosand unreleased songs are much better than what was ever released on an album. The unreleased demos from the Fight to Survive album are excellent. And some of the ones that didn't make the album are far superior than what did.

Anyhoo. I just happened to stumble across the page and so I registered.

Peace...

I actually put him on the same level talent wise as ANYONE, but below the guys you mentioned simply because he took too many chapters out of the EVH book of guitar and just wasn't quite as inventive.

Bryant

There is room for error with EVH's playing. What Vito wrote and played was a work of art with no room for error. You either get it right or you don't. The Wait solo is a great example of this. With EVH's stuff one could stumble a note and keep on rolling. Can't do it with Vito's stuff.

That's the real reason that I registered. Heh. It was bugging me when I read that and so I just wanted to mention that. Of course, that's just my perspective.

There is room for error with EVH's playing. What Vito wrote and played was a work of art with no room for error. You either get it right or you don't. The Wait solo is a great example of this. With EVH's stuff one could stumble a note and keep on rolling. Can't do it with Vito's stuff.

That's the real reason that I registered. Heh. It was bugging me when I read that and so I just wanted to mention that. Of course, that's just my perspective.

Believe it or not, I agree with you. Vito's solos are generally better constructed and he certainly is the more disciplined guitarist. He is personally one of my absolute favorites. Vito's skills are unsurpassed. However, I still think he honed his craft with a lot of Eddie's techniques.

However, I still think he honed his craft with a lot of Eddie's techniques.

Yes, he did. Is what is is, I suppose. Ah well. If you ever get a chance then maybe try to check out the original Pride recording. I prefer it to the official release myself. Like I said, it has the Fight To Survive sound and is played with the same energy. The same producer and all...

Pride was recorded twice. The original Pride recording was done by Peter Hauke at Hotline Studio in Frankfurt, Germany. Of course, Peter also produced Fight to Survive. The original Pride recording sounds much like Fight To Survive. It's Raw. The way rock n roll is supposed to be. It's called "Pride Take One '86" and is part of the 7 cd Box set that Tramp released back in 2004. I think only 500 copies were pressed worldwide. I have two. Everything on that Anthology cd that I was reading about comes off of the box set. I have that one as well. Between that one and the White Lion Lost Tracks, Demos & Oddities cds you could probably piece together a good bit of the boxset but you'd still be missing some of the good stuff, though. But it's better than nothing I suppose. It's all pure rock. No 80's pop mix added to it. Some Studs and Danish Lions stuff too on the Oddities cd but not everything from the box set.

The original recording has some alternate lyrics and some titles are different. An example would be that the original recording of Don't Give Up is entitled Turn It Up.And there are some other differences. I think that they should have kept Say Goodbye and added that to the second recording. It's an excellent song.

If anyone was lucky enough to snag a copy of the 7 disk box set entitled "Mike Tramp The Bootleg Series" then they'd be familiar with a lot of excellent stuff. A lot of the demosand unreleased songs are much better than what was ever released on an album. The unreleased demos from the Fight to Survive album are excellent. And some of the ones that didn't make the album are far superior than what did.

Anyhoo. I just happened to stumble across the page and so I registered.

Peace...

Hit me up if your second copy of the 7-disc set is for sale :)

Yes, he did. Is what is is, I suppose. Ah well. If you ever get a chance then maybe try to check out the original Pride recording. I prefer it to the official release myself. Like I said, it has the Fight To Survive sound and is played with the same energy. The same producer and all...

I will put Vito squarely in my top five guitarists of all time. Howener, I will also say that Wolf Hoffman is unequivically my absolute favorite guitarist period. Wolf never really "reinvented the wheel" either so to speak. I brought that up for a reason..... EVH, Yngwie, Jimi etc. May not be my personal favorites, but it is very important that they are recognized as truly "greats" because they significantly changed how guitar is played. Yngwie more or less invented "neo-classical" for example. That doesn't make Wolf and Vito less impressive players than those others others I mentioned, but rather that they have not had as large of an impact on how modern guitar is played.

White Lion was one of my fav bands in the day and I still listen to them frequently. Love their stuff and VITO was the man. Lady of the Valley is probably my fav WL song.
As for the Pride discussion - I prefer the one they went out with. I liked the more polished sound. The other is good no doubt but to me the polished sound works better for me.
I liked all 4 releases by the "real WL" and Vito's playing was a big part of it. Have not been the biggest fan of Mike's solo stuff but regardless he is out there doing his thing and still making plenty of music which I respect.
Count me in for a fan who would LOVE to see the original line-up unite again.

Brand

For those who were turned off by the band as being rather generic late 80's hair metal, let me recommend one song: Lights and Thunder, which was among the most progressive-sounding in their catalog. It was a nearly 10 minute epic that sounds quite awesome and is better than anything they did. It's a shame that the band didn't survive past that album (Mane Attraction) because it was a very interesting direction for the band and one I would like to have seen explored further.

Definitely another band from that era that got a bad rap for being lumped in with the Poisons of the world. Mane Attraction is a VERY underrated album front to back.

7 year bump...

MIKE TRAMP's WHITE LION Announce US Tour Dates

August
23 - TBA - Las Vegas, NV
24 - Club 44 - Glendale, AZ
29 - Arcada Theater - St. Charles, IL
30 - Epic Event Center - Green Bay, WI

September
2 - Los Gallos - Boardman, OH
4 - The Rust Belt - East Moline, IL
6 - Rocktember Music Fest - Hinckley, MN
8 - Diesel Theater- Chesterfield, MI