Sludge Metal

Ocelot2010

Burger King Diamond
Sep 18, 2008
Washington State
I figured it was my turn to make a sub-genre forum
I think Sludge Metal is a highly underrated form of metal, with bands like Down, Crowbar, Corrosion of Conformity, how the fuck can you go wrong with it?

Crowbar "Existence is Punishment"

Down "Bury me in Smoke"

Corrosion of Conformity "Vote with a Bullet"

Corrosion of Conformity "Seven Days"

Last edited by a moderator:
Superjoint Ritual "Fuck your Enemy"

Acid Bath "Bleed me an Ocean"

Heavier example of Acid Bath

Kingdom of Sorrow?

Jamey Jasta (Hatebreed) and Kirk Windstein's (Crowbar) side project.

My type of sludge is your slowed down stuff. Like Neurosis are one of my all time favoruites. I see a divide with sludge... like the bands linked with hardcore and then the post rock types. I love the mellow stuff. Does anybody here like The Ocean? The drummer from my band CXovet Chaos was the vocalist and bassist for them for a long time. They toured with Cynic and Opeth from 2008-2009.

There are just too many goddamn genres, and most of the time it is down to lazy journalism, where bands that are doing something original just get lumped into a particular pidgeon hole, for convenience. I can see how Down and Crowbar could be considered Doom/Sludge, but I don't think you can lump Corrosion of Conformity into that bracket. The mentality seems to be, if they have a connection to New Orleans, then they must be a Sludge band - or maybe Stoner, or even Southern Metal? Recently I read a review that labelled Mastodon a "Progressive/Sludge/Hardcore" band - WTF? Christ, even Pride & Glory (Zakk Wylde's Southern Rock album) was labelled "Southern Sludge".

One of my more recent favourite bands, Clutch, according to various journalists, started as a hardcore band, changed to a hardcore stoner band, then a stoner band, then stoner/blues, and now they are considered to be a blues rock band. To me, the labels do not matter, in my view there is only two types of music, the stuff you like and the stuff you don't like, end of story........ rant over!