SM57 + UA 610 mic pre (Impedence?)

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I'm gonna be recording some guitars soon, and will likely be pairing an SM57 with a UA 610 preamp... I'm wondering what impedence setting is more optimal for the 57, ahead of time... so I don't waste time tweaking. There is a 500, and a 2.0k setting on the preamp unit if I'm not mistaken.

500 is just fine with it, although try the 2 k and see what sounds better to you!

word of warning, the 610 can clip (internally) quite easily with very loud sources, so be very careful with the gain(on the 610)

500 is just fine with it, although try the 2 k and see what sounds better to you!

word of warning, the 610 can clip (internally) quite easily with very loud sources, so be very careful with the gain(on the 610)

I'd say 2K as well, the 500 Ohm will give a less tight, more "ambient" sound... good for when you want something warmer, like acoustic instruments.
The difference really jumped out for me when I tried the diff impedence load on a c414.
-b

As a general rule of thumb, dynamics like a lower impedance load. Condensors, a higher load. The 57, in particular, wants a lower load. Physically, the lower impedance keeps the element from moving too far, too fast. This will translate into a smoother, less fizzy tone, especially for guitar.

My Great River pre has a switch to set between 300 & 1200 ohms. With 300 being omptimal for the 57.

Marty Peters did a wonderful article on the subject called "the taming of the Shure" last year in Recording magazine. He even included plans for a 'gizmo' to change your preamp's impedance load if you don't have a switch.

Thanks Oz. Suppose I'll keep it on 500 and save myself the time for dialing the amps.

I've also got access to other mic pres in the studio which are:

# AMEK / NEVE System 9098 dual Mic Pre-Amps.
# UNIVERSAL AUDIO LA610 Mic Pre / LA2A Compressor
# UNIVERSAL AUDIO 6176 Mic Pre / 1176 Compressor
# UNIVERSAL AUDIO 2108 Dual Mic Pre-Amps

The only one I've used so far is the 610 so that would be my natural choice. But I would like to try the others.

Anyone have any preferred pres from that list?

As a general rule of thumb, dynamics like a lower impedance load. Condensors, a higher load. The 57, in particular, wants a lower load. Physically, the lower impedance keeps the element from moving too far, too fast. This will translate into a smoother, less fizzy tone, especially for guitar.

My Great River pre has a switch to set between 300 & 1200 ohms. With 300 being omptimal for the 57.

Marty Peters did a wonderful article on the subject called "the taming of the Shure" last year in Recording magazine. He even included plans for a 'gizmo' to change your preamp's impedance load if you don't have a switch.

Hmm, I'm not sure about the load impedence, I know that the Mic Pre input impedence should be 8-10 times the mic's output impedence. From what I could find about the recording article you mention on the net, the mod increased the output impedence of the 57 with the aim to match it closer to your pre.
It would be interesting to see if anyone could post the article here.

From my understanding, A 57 has 300 Ohm output impedence, which would be fine for 2K input of the 610 pre.
-b

# AMEK / NEVE System 9098 dual Mic Pre-Amps.
# UNIVERSAL AUDIO LA610 Mic Pre / LA2A Compressor
# UNIVERSAL AUDIO 6176 Mic Pre / 1176 Compressor
# UNIVERSAL AUDIO 2108 Dual Mic Pre-Amps

The only one I've used so far is the 610 so that would be my natural choice. But I would like to try the others.

Anyone have any preferred pres from that list?
I can't speak to the UA stuff but the 9098 is rad.

Found the article... I'll see about posting it later this weekend: I'm starting an album tomorrow & tuning drums & such right now.

At a quick glance, Paul J. Stamler was the author.... He's not a fan of 57's & took his preamp's load from 2K down to 500 ohms & it made a huge difference.

I've done this myself, & I can say for certain that it has a very nice effect.

Well the deal with the 10 x source impedance as the impedance on the input of your pre is to optimize voltage and decrease current, thus decreasing inductive crosstalk...

OzNimbus is totally right in his explanation of the impedance and it's affect on the sound. Generally mics like the 57 that in a way round out the sound anyway due to the weight of it's diaphragm work best with low loads, like 300-600, and small cap condensers work best with high loads...

But in all honesty, do what sounds best

So interesting coming back to this thread after many years.

I’d kind of blindly followed using lower loads on an sm57, and it took a while (and some better gear) to fully appreciate that I actually almost always prefer 1200 Ohms settings (or higher) on pretty much every mic I have tested. Lower loads sound choked/stiff and kind of band limited to me (much as you’d expect with too low of an impedance load).

I’ve done loads of shootouts and comparisons since, and I’m yet to find a situation where I’ve preferred the 300 ohms setting over 1200 (on sm57’s, 545, m201, m160, 421’s). Often 1.5k or higher is even better still, as found on other preamp designs. I think 1k is the absolute minimum I’d want to use.

There are excellent articles on Neumann, AEA and Audient’s websites that explain mic and preamp impedances really well that are well worth digging into.

Its weird reading this thread now when I have more experience with top end gear and more experience as a mixer. Like finding an old photo of when you were a child.

I find that I prefer the 57/58 at 300 ohms if the preamp allows it. It feels like it softens up the response and makes it feel like it "moves" more. Most other mics seem to lose top/low end response. However, I did find that my favourite mic preamp for the sm57/58 is the symetrix sx302. I believe it's 600ohm.