Looking for a real good preamp (1-2 channels, A/D desirable, about 1500€)

jipchen

ForesterStudio
Nov 17, 2008
Munich, Germany
www.facebook.com
Hi, I'm looking for some really nice preamp (pun intended).
I've never had a dedicated preamp, so I guess now is the time..
I'm not looking for an ultra-clean preamp, the Presonus and RME Preamps are clean enough for me.
I want a somehow colouring pre, but no vocals-only preamp.
Really GASing for an API A2D (allthough it's basically over my limit), interested in the Chandler Germanium, Great River ME1..
I also know and like the UA La-610, but it always seemed to me as a vocals and bass preamp, and no so good on snare / guitar tracks.

My main purpose would be acoustic and electric guitars, snare tracks, and.. vocals if possible :lol:
I know Lasse loves the Vintech X73, but I've never seen it in a European/German online store..

A/D would be cool, (S/PDIF) so I won't loose an input (got 10 atm) but gain 1 or 2. It's no must-have-feature, though.
Channelstrips are not so interesting for me, because i don't want to EQ before mixing. A Compressor does no damage but it's really not necessary.
A rack unit would be preferred.

Any hints?

I say save some money and go for the API A2D because we both know you will never regret it.

Edit: Or hope to get one used... but I guess who ever owns one is not going to sell it. Havn't found any used API stuff on Ebay the last few weeks.

Right :lol: I'm researching since a few months now and can't remember any API gear being sold.
It's not like i "only" have 1500, I just have some other purchases waiting in line :zipit:
I'm a little unshure what to buy next... the API would set other things back at least.. half a year.
BUT I DO WANT GODDAMNIT :D

Register at gearslutz.com and check the classifieds section. Got a used API A2D there last month for 1250€ (including shipping and import tax).
If you really want the API than get it, it is really not that much over your budget. I don't recommend settling for stuff that you don't really want if what you really want is not totally out of reach. Whatever you may get instead, most likely you will still want the API so why not go for it right away?

If you think you will be adding more than 2 preamps down the road maybe look at getting a lunch box. You could pick up a lunchbox + 512c for around the €1,200 mark

Geeee, nice deal. Thanks for the hot tip.
Oh and Emdprodukt: Get that API 3124! Your argument is valid for yourself, too ;)

haha yeah I know but it's still just 4 preamps and I would need a good ad/da converter which would be another 1400€.

Digiface - 530 €
HDSP Card - 319€
Audient ASP 008 - 1300€
RME ADI 8 - 1399€
API 3124 - 2300€

4449€. With my FMR RNP it's a total of 14 Channels. PRETTY expensive if I have to get most of it new. MAJOR GAS RIGHT NOW.

If you think you will be adding more than 2 preamps down the road maybe look at getting a lunch box. You could pick up a lunchbox + 512c for around the €1,200 mark
I've thought of this, too. But a A2D plus a Great River NV cost as much as a lunchbox, 2x 512c and 1 Great River 500 Series module. And looks like shit :D
I think you only profit of the lunchbox concept if you buy 4 or 5 units at least. Just don't like the concept and look.
haha yeah I know but it's still just 4 preamps and I would need a good ad/da converter which would be another 1400€.

Digiface - 530 €
HDSP Card - 319€
Audient ASP 008 - 1300€
RME ADI 8 - 1399€
API 3124 - 2300€

4449€. With my FMR RNP it's a total of 14 Channels. PRETTY expensive if I have to get most of it new. MAJOR GAS RIGHT NOW.
Yeah, pretty expensive (but killer setup!)... that's why I went the Fireface route. I was in the same situation and the FF offered me 6 A/D channels additional to the 4 preamps, which made 10 with my old Presonus interface used as a 6xmic-preamp.
Then you can add 2 channles via S/PDIF and 16 more with ADAT at any time.
And no matter how you decide.. DO IT NAAAAOOOUU :lol:

Digiface - 530 €
HDSP Card - 319€
Audient ASP 008 - 1300€
RME ADI 8 - 1399€
API 3124 - 2300€

check out this:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Lynx-Aurora-8-Ne...ewItem&pt=Studioequipment&hash=item58847b3d4f

so ditch the rme adi 8 and go for the aurora....
:heh: I know it is evil:D

but why buy the good product when you can get one of the best products for 400€ more

Would you guys buy a used A2D (in mint condition!) for 276€ less than the original price (in germany)?
I don't think it's very smart...
German customs suck. If someone offers me a a2d for 1400$ + shipping from the USA, it is 1570€ in the end (new: 1849)

I'm thinking of getting a used Great River NV1 at the moment (someone offered me one), I'll buy an API anyways but the Great River is said to be more versitable.
And as it would be my only high-end preamp, it's probably the better one to start with.