A bit confused about Preamps and A/D Converters

GarethSE

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2008
So, I want to build a custom rackmount preamp with a bunch of the $5 preamp circuits in it, primarily for drum recording.
But that's kinda not the point of the question.
What I don't get is how you get those 8 or so tracks from the preamp into nuendo onto seperate tracks.

So, let's say my set up is 8 drum mics, into each input of this preamp jobby.
I'd need an A/D converter yeah? Which would presumably need 8 inputs on that, right?
Here's the part I'm having trouble with. Do I then need to run that to an interface to get that into nuendo?

I *COULD* just buy a firepod, but I'm cheap, and I can't really afford one, ha.
And I could do with figuring this shit out anyway, it's bugged me for ages, I just don't really get it.

And sorry if this post doesn't make much sense. I'm running on no sleep and too much coffee.

Cheers

Or a Firewire interface like the Firepod, and just run the outputs of all the preamps into it...

Just get a Firepod if you are on a budget. Skip those $5 preamps, because the ones you will get with your interface will be just as good if not better.

Just Wiki'd ADAT.
So it can send like 8 tracks down one cable and the DAW will like.. Understand that?
Or have I got that wrong?

And Wolfeman, I can't really afford whatever I'll be getting, I'll be saving for quite a while. I'm just weighing up my options.

I would like to see someone make their own A/D converter.. That would be a feet in itself. To build my own firewire, USB or PCI interface would be hell. Ohh and don't forget to create the code "Drivers" so the DAW will see it. Unless you are really "gifted" it would be wise just to save up some money and get an interface.

I would like to see someone make their own A/D converter.. That would be a feet in itself. To build my own firewire, USB or PCI interface would be hell. Ohh and don't forget to create the code "Drivers" so the DAW will see it. Unless you are really "gifted" it would be wise just to save up some money and get an interface.

I wasn't talking about building a converter. That really would be hell.
Building a preamp probably wouldn't be too hard though.
Dunno if you've seen the $5 preamp circuit. Really simple, overly so infact, but add a gain knob and phantom power switching, and away you go.