Need A/D or something

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
So I've got an Alesis io26 at the moment, which has 8 pres. However, in past projects I have needed more than 8 inputs when doing drums, and we wound up having to overdub one of the toms lol.

I've essentially decided to upgrade from the Alesis to an M-Audio Profire 2626. But, again, I will be limited to 8 pres. I would just connect the Alesis pres to the Profire with ADAT to get more than 8 pres into my DAW, but the Alesis only has ADAT In, not ADAT Out for some reason (arrrghh).

So, to get the Alesis pres into the Profire, I need an A/D. What's a good, "high quality" A/D to use? It seems like I'm always hearing about Lavry and other high-end converters, but whenever I look at these products they seem to be only 2 channels. Since this seems to be the case, what converters do people use when they're tracking drums? Are the only options for 8-channel Apogee, Lynx, and RME? Apogee and Lynx are too expensive for me, tbh, and I've always seen RME as being "expensive, but not top of the line."

In terms of price range, I'm not going to spend thousands on a converter. Am I simply out of luck? Frankly, I can't seem to find any converters that are below the thousand-dollar range.

Am I better off just buying another interface with preamps and ADAT Out? Like the new Liquid Saffire 56? Or maybe a preamp unit with built-in A/D like an Onyx 800?
Or maybe a Behringer ADA8000? What bothers me about it is that you can't bypass the preamps. With gain on 0, do the Behringer pres "suck tone" away from whatever you plug into them? I suppose it's not a huge deal since I'd be using it in conjunction with the Alesis pres, but it's still annoying.
I've been a bit dubious about how much of a difference preamps really make, so I figured that using Alesis preamps, which I've been pleased with and already own anyway, would be a good idea. But now I need A/D.

In conclusion, what seems like the best route? Buy an A/D unit? Buy another interface (which will have built in A/D)? Is there something I'm not thinking of?

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Behringer ADA800? Honestly not kidding on that one, especially if you use external preamps! (and buy new to get a warranty! :ill: )

Well I guess it depends on how high-quality you want your sound; I really can't think of any 8-channel A/D converters between like $200 and $1200, except the ones that already come with 8 preamps (Presonus Digimax stuff, Mackie Onyx 800r, Focusrite Octopre LE, etc.)

Well I guess it depends on how high-quality you want your sound; I really can't think of any 8-channel A/D converters between like $200 and $1200, except the ones that already come with 8 preamps (Presonus Digimax stuff, Mackie Onyx 800r, Focusrite Octopre LE, etc.)

Agreed, either get an ADA8000 or buy a new 8 channel interface because you can run all of them in standalone anyways. Or run the Profire in standalone mode for tracking and use the Alesis as your interface, then you can run the ADAT Out from the Profire into the ADAT In on the Alesis and you can use 16 inputs without buying anything at all. You can use the Profire as your interface when mixing if you want to use ProTools or something.

That's a good idea about using the Alesis as the interface with the Profire going into it (just for tracking), but the problem is I think his Alesis has driver/stability issues :erk:

Exactly. Although, it's been acting pretty good since I reverted drivers to an older version. It might also do better when I upgrade my mobo. Apparently the chipset on my mobo has "compatability issues."

I would really hate to use the Alesis as my main interface wit hthe Profire going into it, but it's probably worth it to save at least $1k. Especially since it would only be necessary when I need more than 8 pres going.
It would be annoying to have to switch DAWs during a project though (as I plan to get PT when I get the Profire).

Track in Reaper, super easy to then consolidate (File>Consolidate) and import into ProTools to edit/mix. Like you said, you'd only need to do it when you wanted to record more than 8 tracks at once so you'd only really need it to make it through a drum session before switching everything back to the Profire based setup.