Small bass amp recommendations?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Right, so I see a lot of talk on here about great Bass DI boxes/plugins and the like, but for a live environment in small places where the PA can't be counted on, what's a good, mid-level bass combo amp that could run with a band and not be over, say, $400? Think the bass equivalent of the almighty Roland Cube for guitarists. Or, if I were to get a 175-watt PA speaker (this JBL) and run vocals AND bass (via a DI) into it simultaneously, would it sound tolerable and be able to keep up with a band at band practice volumes, or is that too little power? Thanks guys!

I would recommend a Peavey MAX Bass combo or the Line 6 LowDown series. I've only tried out the Peavey, which sounded pretty dirty/punchy. My little brother owned the LowDown 150 for about a year or so and that thing had a bunch of options with a pretty nice tone. He made a video demo of it on youtube if you would like to check it out. Hope this helps. - Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty cool RockGuitar, thanks! I'd imagine Line 6 would put out a pretty good product, and it's nice to have the options. As silly as this may sound, would it sound passable to just use a powered PA speaker as a bass amp? I figured out some other stuff to get from AMS to bring the total above $250 (to use the 3-payment thing), so I'm pretty set on getting this Carvin PA speaker (rather than the JBL) for our vocals, and if our bassist could use it as well (it has 3 inputs), that'd be all the better.

Ya a PA system can produce some decent/passable tones. I have a 300-watt Behringer Keyboard/PA amp that has 4 channels. My brother and I used it while we waited for his half-stack. It's slightly "dull" sounding but if you're looking for a bassy tone it would work fine. The bass amps I mentioned (Line 6, Peavey, Ampeg) are more "punchy" and pick up low frequencies with more detail. In other words a PA can be more "muddy". The DI pedals for bass might be helpful to you as well if you choose the PA system. Check out the Seymour Duncan Paranormal pedal if you get the chance.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SFX06-Paranormal-Bass-EQ-Direct-Box?sku=151063

i think the powered monitor deal would work, but i wouldnt vocals and bass into a unit under 1000 watts. 300 wont have enough headroom for that, and if you are using stacks, and your drummer hits like i do, than it def wont cut it unless you use the monitor for bass.

I tried a Hartke kickback 15 with a fender bass and it sounded really good at the time.

That Ampeg BA115 looks good.

So is there an equivalent to the v30 or G12T75 for bass speakers? What would be THE bass speakers to have?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, though I really should clarify that my main desire is to use a PA speaker for it. Which brings me to:

i think the powered monitor deal would work, but i wouldnt vocals and bass into a unit under 1000 watts. 300 wont have enough headroom for that, and if you are using stacks, and your drummer hits like i do, than it def wont cut it unless you use the monitor for bass.

Thanks a lot dude! But 1000 watts!?!? I have practically zero experience with live sound stuff, but we probably would be using stacks and our drummer is no wimp, so you think 300 wouldn't be enough? (actually the Carvin is 350, but divided between 300 W for the woofer and 50 W tweeter). Oy...

if you mean using it for vocals and bass. 300 watts will not have enough headroom for the dynamics of the bass and vocals to shine. youll get pumping like a bad compressor on the 2bus

i have a 350 watt pa, and 2 peavy scorpions, cant really use it to mic vox and kicks,(for my triggers) or bass, sounds like poo. might as well use an old 15 w. guitar amp for vox. (ive done this back in the day lol)

if you mean using it for vocals and bass. 300 watts will not have enough headroom for the dynamics of the bass and vocals to shine. youll get pumping like a bad compressor on the 2bus

i have a 350 watt pa, and 2 peavy scorpions, cant really use it to mic vox and kicks,(for my triggers) or bass, sounds like poo. might as well use an old 15 w. guitar amp for vox. (ive done this back in the day lol)

Hmm, yeah, I guess you can't argue with experience - if your 350 watts can't handle it, I doubt Carvin's would be any different! Crap, oh well, it'll still make a good PA, and I guess for practice we'll find something else. Tell me this, though - in a live environment, when our singer can go through the house system, could our bassist use the PA speaker as his bass amp (via a DI) if he was the only one going through it?

Yeah, you can use the PA as a makeshift bass rig.
I've been playing bass in a band regularly the past few months and since I don't have my old bass rig anymore, I just play through a 400w Mackie powered speaker. I usually run my friend's POD through it just for the compression to pull a little more volume out of it. It doesn't sound the best, but it works.