Small PA for rehearsal room...

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hey,

we really need a new PA for our rehearsal room. Anyone having any good hints? How much power does the amp need at least for a metal band? ;) We just wanna send vocals and a backing track with synth through it. Maybe the Kick too, but this isn't a must. Tell me what you guys use....

Thanks! :)

We have a Behringer Europower (I think that's what it is) that does its job fairly well. Gets plenty loud and we run vocals and samples through it. We had issues at first with the thing clipping/totally cutting off the sound, but I think it was due to voltage problems.

I've had my eyes on a Phonic system for vocals, bass DI, and maybe a kick myself. One can be had for $300-500.

If you play at the lowest possible volumes (where the drummer knows how to hit in small spaces and the amps are just high enough to hear everything), a 200 watt PA might be all you need. However you can probably safely assume 1 watt per every watt the amps in the room have. 200 watt bass amp, two 100 watt guitar amps, you could use a 400 watt PA.

But these figures aren't related to experience. Just theory. Ideally, I would want my PA to have headroom, and the ability to project in a small venue if the needs for it arise, hence my suggestion of a 400 watt PA. But as stated before, you can probably make do with 200.