smart-ass parking meters! What the hell's next??

Jurched

Ask&YoullBeSorry
May 10, 2005
Calais, Maine (not France)
Its not every day that a friendly violent place like Billy's forum has municipal services being discussed. But this is the sort of shit that pisses me off, so here you are:

Municipalities latch on to IntelliPark’s ‘smart’ meter
Friday, July 14, 2006

In 1995 Yost patented a radio frequency sensor for a parking meter that detects the arrival and departure of a car in a parking space. Even since, he has been pitching it, under a company called Intelligent Devices, to municipalities in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware.

If you've translated "Intelligent Devices" into "Clever Wallet Rapers, LLC" you get the first prize.

The company is one of several trying to persuade municipalities to switch over from their mechanical, battery-powered parking meters to newer electronic versions that can boost parking revenues or at least improve enforcement of parking penalties.

That's right. Let's crack down on those parking violators! And they say Bush is an authoritarian....

Martin Stein, executive director of the National Parking Association, called the proliferation of smart parking meters in a significant number of U.S. cities ‘‘a great thing.”

Of course Mr. Stein would. He belongs to the right tribe for making a fortune off of collecting spare change.

‘‘The technology is being advanced dramatically by many of the suppliers now,” Stein said. ‘‘Once consumers get used to the change, it will be much more convenient to them” and, if properly enforced, should increase revenues for municipalities.

Increase revenues ONCE everyone gets used to the change. Well, tax my ass off! Anyone can get numb to torture once their nerves die.

The most noticeable difference between the IntelliPark meters and conventional models is no more ‘‘time on the meter.” When the vehicle leaves the space, the meter falls back to zero. That can generate 20 percent to 50 percent more parking revenue for the municipality, Hellman said.

SO they commit fuckin robbery! They steal time that's paid for! Somebody get me a good Jewish lawyer to sue the living crap out of Stein and whatever bandit towns adopt these grifting meters.

The meters can also track violations, so municipalities can monitor the effectiveness of their parking enforcement efforts. They also prevent drivers from ‘‘feeding” the meters past the allotted time limit.

Its criminal from beginning to end. It takes yer money, steals any time left over, calls the cops on ya when yer time runs out, calls the pigs when ya try to get some more time outta the fuckin meter.

You know, there's a solution to this problem: a sledge hammer to the meter, and a sledge hammer upside Stein's head. How's that?

Jurched

I work downtown and have paid thousands of dollars in meter violations. I now park close to two miles away and just hoof it to work..I am not going to pay 10 dollars a day to park in a ramp and I am surely not paying anymore tickets because it is to much of a pain to leave my work in the middle of something just to feed the meter. The county is always wondering why no one comes downtown to shop and spend their money. Hmmm, I wonder why? It couldn't be because you have to pay money so that you can spend more money. In my opinion, parking meters lose most cities revenue because people will just not bother with the hassle of having to run back to their cars to feed the meters every hour.

MyHatred said:
I work downtown and have paid thousands of dollars in meter violations. I now park close to two miles away and just hoof it to work..I am not going to pay 10 dollars a day to park in a ramp and I am surely not paying anymore tickets because it is to much of a pain to leave my work in the middle of something just to feed the meter. The county is always wondering why no one comes downtown to shop and spend their money. Hmmm, I wonder why? It couldn't be because you have to pay money so that you can spend more money. In my opinion, parking meters lose most cities revenue because people will just not bother with the hassle of having to run back to their cars to feed the meters every hour.

Yeah man, what the hell!? Parking meters blow!

If these meters are gettin so smart, then I expect to get unused time back if I get to my car before the meter runs out. "Gimme my change, muthafucka!" Tryin to rob me!

"Wishin I was a millionaire... so I could sue the living shit outta everyone!!!"

Jurched

We should totally pull a "Cool Hand Luke", guys. :)
But without getting caught and dying in the end.