Venue and parking questions

ReaLM

Sep 17, 2002
SF Bay Area
Visit site
Hey, I am wondering how easily can you see the stage at the Independent? Is there any seating like at Prog power or is it standing only?
I'm only 5"1, so I'm trying to figure out what time I need to get there tomorrow in order to get a good spot for Mob Rules (I'm not too familiar with Timeline).

Also, I'm planning on driving to the show; is there any decent parking around the venue or it all outrageous like everywhere in SanFran?

While I'm at; it how is Slim's as a venue? I just moved out here and I noticed that it Sym X, Edguy, and Nightwish (three of my favs :headbang:) are all scheduled to play there.

Btw, it is awesome that this festival is starting up! I picked a great time to move out here :) .

Thanks!
Robin

Yeah, you did pick a good time to move here. I've never been to the independent so I can't comment on the stage or the parking unfortunately, I'm sure someone else can though.

Slim's is a fairly standard club, big floor section, bar on the right, stage is like 4'-5' off the ground or so. You shouldn't have a problem seeing there if you can find a relatively clear spot. There's parking a block and a half south of slim's underneath a costco... it's kinda tough to figure out how to get into it cause it's all one way streets, but it's clean, safe, and I think about $10. Good pizza place next to Slim's also. I would get there early if you want to be close to the stage.

Enjoy the show, and see ya tomorrow night!!

The Independent is quite a cool venue. It's an open floor plan type place with two itty bitty (aka maybe 4 foot wide and 15 feet long) raised-type platforms on each side of the floor that has bench seating only (or at least for the gigs I've been to). The stage is a nice size, good lighting, stage is about 3 feet in the air, maybe a little less. There is nearly always coat check on the right side of the stage, although not sure about this particular show. The bar is in the middle back of the club and merch is usually sold at the door entrance since it's the easiest spot. There is a small loft area above, but I am betting that this will only be for bands/crew/VIP for this fest (as the venue has done for most of it's other shows), but hopefully they will be able to shed light on that more. BTW, the sound is also kick-ass in this place. The floor is flat and hardwood mostly.

Parking is... entertaining in that area. I have never found a parking lot, structure, or anything. I know when I went to see Yngwie about 1 1/2 years ago in the middle of the week, it took Rob and me nearly 40 minutes to find somewhere to park, so keep that in mind. I'm hoping it won't be that bad this time. I drove maybe a 10 block radius around the venue. It's mostly residential, so make sure you're reading the restriction signs there.

Hope this helps, see you tomorrow!!!

The closest parking garage I know of is an Ampco Garage located on Geary and Divisadero, which is about 7 blocks or so up the the street.....which is about half a mile. The address there is 2186 Geary Blvd. I donnt know how the rates are or what time it closes, however. :Smug: