Classical music and opera (& parking fines)

I wish I was a gigantic Lion that a beautiful woman fell in love with.

Better than doing freight delays.

I like Beethoven.

Not only because he's the dude that most people know, but he did the awesome ones like Symphony 5 and 9, Moonlight Sonata and Fur Elise.

Chopin's Funeral March is the best though.

Goreripper said:
the guy who wrote 'Night on Bald Mountain'

Mussorgsky...

Goreripper said:
Also 'Danse Macabre'

...and Saint-Saens :) Both of which I agree wholeheartedly with. Saint-Saens is one of my favourite composers in fact. When I get my electric violin I'll do a metal version of Danse Macabre, which I own the sheet music for. :headbang: From him, the Carnival of the Animals is pretty famous and worth listening to (just don't play The Swan around any cellists, they might bite off your ears) and The Samson and Delilah suite is very good. Also, his organ symphony (#3 op.78 Cm) is incredible. We played that when I was in the UQ symph and the solo organ parts nearly knocked me off my chair. :D

In the spirit of Russian composers, also look for Rimsky-Korsakov and Stravinsky. For the former, I recommend Scheherazade and Capriccio Espagnol; for the latter, any of his ballet suites are excellent, particularly the Firebird. The Firebird suite is evil evil evil, and we played it in the Brisbane cathedral of St John, which aside from being a deliciously gothic venue had a fucking wicked echo. :D

...fuck, I want to listen to that now and my Stravinsky disc is missing :( This will never do, I need another copy.

Hmm what else? *browses collection* Bach is generally incredible, particularly his violin concertos and organ works; Albinoni (his Cm Adagio is pretty overplayed, but good value nonetheless). Grieg's piano concertos are brilliant, and his Peer Gynt suite is worth looking for - everyone knows 'Morning' and 'In the Hall of the Mountain King' which are generally played to death, but the rest is excellent if you have it, particularly 'Solvieg's Song' and 'Anitra's Dance'.

Hmm...Delibes' Coppelia and Lakme...and see if he's got the Prokofiev version of Romeo and Juliet - Tchaikovsky also did one but it's nowhere near as good.

OH! Here's Allegri's Miserere Mei Deus, which according to apocrypha was originally banned from being sung except on special occasions, because it was deemed too divine for common ears.

That'll do for now :)

I thought this thread was going to be about you debating whether you should sell your g-pa's classical collection to get some cash to pay your parking fine.

I almost lost my licence from that failing to stop at a red light fine...that sucked.

I didnt change my address with the Dept of Transport when we moved in Feb...which is when I got the fine...then when I finally did get around to changing my address, which was in June, I got the final notice about the fine the next week, which gave me about 6 days to get it sorted.

This is when Edguy was in town and I was still deciding on if I would fly to Sydney for the cruise gig...figured fuck it, sank my cash in plane tickets and a hotel and called the fine place. I was surprised that they were so willing to just let me pay it off at 30 bucks a fortnight.

If you live in one of these unfortunate states that want your balls for a parking fine, try giving them a call and organising a way to pay it off in bits.

Goreripper said:
Thanks Karyn. I knew Saint-Saens but I couldn't remember how to spell Mussorgsky.
But I already wrote it! IN MY VERY FIRST REPLY IN THIS THREAD! Of course I used the alternative spelling, though. LOOK!

phlogiston said:
Moussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain is also pretty good.
I think I'm going invisible again. Bah.

Spiff said:
:worship:

You know, the Beast isnt even very beastly, I mean he is, but its not like he is ugly, I mean, if I was at a bar, and he was at a bar, I reckon the women would be buying *him* drinks.

:lol: I guess. I still reckon they would want to run their hands through his mane and look at his big shiny teeth.

Thanks for your help on this, all. I'm not sure exactly what my grandad has - he's got shitloads of stuff here. I'll print this thread off and have a look through the collection.

I might leave that fine till the middle of the month, then call up and see if I can pay in installments.