Classical Influences

wdiv

Rattlehead
May 28, 2004
US
Lots of rock & metal music obviously has some influence from classical music & opera ... especially progressive metal & (duh!) neoclassical metal.

Can anybody recommend any of the "original" classical or operatic recordings that could be appreciated by a member of this forum?

You mean like Bach, Beethoven, Wagner, and Mozart? I'm not familiar with songs by title, but you can get cds from any of those guys in the bargain bin. From there you'd probably have to listen and make a best of because some of it is pretty slow and mellow. I like the really heavy classical stuff, with cannons roaring and such!

I listen to quite a bit of classical, jazz and blues although I'm not terribly familiar with the names either. You can find a few metal bands doing classical music on the Lion Music label (Alex Masi, Project Alcazar, etc.)

I'll recommend certain stuff that I consider pretty neat and that had undoubtedly influence some metal artist specially those on prog/power and neco-classical.

Antonio Vivaldi - "Opus 8, Il cimento dell'armonia e dell'inventione (The Contest between Harmony and Invention), 12 violin concertos including the celebrated work, Le quattro stagioni (The Four Seasons), consisting of the first four concertos in opus 8"
"The Mandolin Concerto in C major, RV 425"

Johann Sebastian Bach - "Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565"

George Frideric Handel - "The Water Music suites"

Ludwig van Bethoveen - "Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor, 1st movement"
"Symphony No. 5 in C Minor (Op. 67)"

Niccolo Paganini - "24 caprices, for solo violin, Op.1"

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - "Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74, Pathétique"
"Festival Overture: 1812, op. 49"

Edvard Grieg - "Suite Peer Gynt" (which includes "In The Hall Of The Mountain King")

Modest Mussorgsky - "Night on Bare Mountain"
"Suite Pictures At An Exhibition"

to mention a few examples

Lots of rock & metal music obviously has some influence from classical music & opera ... especially progressive metal & (duh!) neoclassical metal.

Can anybody recommend any of the "original" classical or operatic recordings that could be appreciated by a member of this forum?

(work your way down the list)
Wagner - Ouvertures and Preludes
Respighi - Ancient Airs and Dances
Respighi - Church Windows
Bruckner -Symphonies 4 and 7

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm definately gonna run by the library this weekned & check a few of those out.

I listen to quite a bit of classical, jazz and blues although I'm not terribly familiar with the names either. You can find a few metal bands doing classical music on the Lion Music label (Alex Masi, Project Alcazar, etc.)

I do have the Project Alcazar disk... haven't listened to it in a loooong time though. I might have to go 'n dust it off.

I'll recommend certain stuff that I consider pretty neat and that had undoubtedly influence some metal artist specially those on prog/power and neco-classical.

Antonio Vivaldi - "Opus 8, Il cimento dell'armonia e dell'inventione (The Contest between Harmony and Invention), 12 violin concertos including the celebrated work, Le quattro stagioni (The Four Seasons), consisting of the first four concertos in opus 8"
"The Mandolin Concerto in C major, RV 425"

Johann Sebastian Bach - "Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565"

George Frideric Handel - "The Water Music suites"

Ludwig van Bethoveen - "Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor, 1st movement"
"Symphony No. 5 in C Minor (Op. 67)"

Niccolo Paganini - "24 caprices, for solo violin, Op.1"

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - "Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74, Pathétique"
"Festival Overture: 1812, op. 49"

Edvard Grieg - "Suite Peer Gynt" (which includes "In The Hall Of The Mountain King")

Modest Mussorgsky - "Night on Bare Mountain"
"Suite Pictures At An Exhibition"

to mention a few examples

I also thank you for the tip, I wanted to get some real metal scale classical, I don't really like that "mainstream" Beethoven, Mozart stuff.

I also thank you for the tip, I wanted to get some real metal scale classical, I don't really like that "mainstream" Beethoven, Mozart stuff.

I can't assure you is more "metal", I can assure you that you will find a lot of influences of metal in some or all of those musical compositions, especially when it comes to neo-classical, prog and power metal (and even some thrash, check Mekong Delta).

I can't assure you is more "metal", I can assure you that you will find a lot of influences of metal in some or all of those musical compositions, especially when it comes to neo-classical, prog and power metal (and even some thrash, check Mekong Delta).

I used the word metal, but I know what you mean, I just didn't know how to say it, yeah its good stuff.

I wanted the playful symphonic scales which use a certain musical language throughout the song in different variations instead of the too well known beethoven symphonys.

I listen to classical once in a blue moon. Since you are new to classical I would start with Ludwig Von Beethoven. His fifth symphony is very recognizable (at least portions of a couple of the movements.) Fur Elise (For Alice) is also very recognizable.
My personal favorites are the Russian composers. Tchaikovsky and Rimsky-Korsakov are very good and offer dark yet subtle pieces with varying intensity.
Not all great composers have to be dust and bones though. American, Christopher Lennertz composed movie soundtracks and soundtracks to video games etc. He is very good and caught my ear on a Playstation game entitled Medal of Honor, European assault based on WWII. http://www.christopherlennertz.com/audioclips.html

Bryant

I'm a classical fiend... got my BA in music theory & composition, been listening to it since I was ten. So I know lots on the subject. There are so many great pieces to recommend, but for starters I would get the 9 Beethoven Symphonies, the Brandenburg Concertos by Bach, and Piano Concertos 20-27 and the Requiem Mass in D Minor by Mozart. Great all around intro to classical material as well as stuff that should appeal to people of metal leanings. If you want more rec's just send me a private message and I'll be happy to recommend more stuff.