Underground classical music?

Itay

\m/ (*_-) \m/
Jul 29, 2001
@home
can someone recommend me some good "underground" classical pieces?

I'm sure there are plenty of good music that's not famous and popular like the good ol' BachBeethovenMozartChopinBrahmsWagnerDvorakTchaikoskyETC
but as good as them....

so come'on, recommend it...

you rememberd me???

wow...
thanks! :D

in fact i was always here, i just didn't post :p

Cronos Quartet....wierdo music (they Did the score for Requiem for a dream). I guess it could qualify as classical, but its wierd as fuck...

Well, if you stick to "normal" classical music here's a couple:

Any Vivaldi violin piece. Everyone knows the 4 seasons, but his other work is quite good. In his time, he was a violin virtuoso, so I'd trust those pieces the most.

If you like Baroque music (like I do), especially polyphonic masses, Palestrina and Monteverdi are quite good.

Also, if you don't know Dvorak's Ma Vlast (My Country), it is quite good.

As for modern classical music (anything after 1800), I don't know much except for Carl Orff's Carmina Burana which is quite fun.

Classical music by frequently underrated female composers:
:)

Hildegard von Bingen (along the lines of Gregorian chant from what I've heard)
Jacquet de la Guerre (Baroque - try Suite No. 1 from Pieces for Harpsichord)
Clara Schumann (more Romantic - try Scherzo, Opus 10)

he's pretty famous, but you can't go wrong with rachmaninov. i second trapped's "bartok" vote. i also heavily endorse holst (especially The Planets).

Also Sibelius

Bartok is cool.

Check out these:

Olivier Messiaen ("Chronochromie", "Vingt Regards", "Trois Petites Liturgies" but above all - "Quartet for the End of Time"). The most beautiful music ever - you'll have to dedicate multiple listens just to "get" his ways of harmonic thinking, but he's a composer who can make each moment of music beautiful even when taken separately - and even moreso the whole pieces. Rich static chords, or irregular bird-song rhythms and melodies, or dramatic fast movements that sound like composed on another planet...very mystic and enchanting music.

Gyorgy Ligeti ("Lux Aeterna", "Requiem for Two Mixed Choirs...", "Atmospheres"). Unveiling and menacing masses of sound, sparse or powerful and dense - whether made by choir, orchestra, electroacoustics or noises, or their combination, the results give a sense of vastness and timelessness.

Iannis Xenakis ("Jonchaies") - a harsh and extreme piece which varies between mutant quasi-Indonesian melodies in a modern sonic interpretation to gritty, driving and conflicting rhythms crashing into each other.

There's much more, I'll add tomorrow if I have the time and if the thread survives!

D Mullholand

Here's sum mo "shiznat":

Arnold Schoenberg ("Pierrot Lunaire", "A Survivor from Warsaw"). True experiences, very visual and evocative music, that you don't even notice how highly organized and complex it is. Some of the best musical "journeys" ever.

Giacinto Scelsi ("Quattro Pezzi per Orchestra"). Ghostly music, built around permutations of a single note (!), but very rich and yielding nonetheless.

Karlheinz Stockhausen ("Gesang der Junglinge"). The originator and mastermind of "troo" electronic music, this is a piece built of manipulated and generated sounds to present a real drama and a work of universal scope.

Anton Webern ("Symphonie", "Variations", "Passacaglia for Orchestra"). I must mention him because his music is so far the hardest for me to "crack". It is quite "nice" and "melodic", and the pieces are rather short and compressed, but so far I can only grasp bits and parts of patterns inside. I'll keep on listening. If somebody "gets him", my sincerest congrats.

Igor Stravinsky ("Petrushka", "Rite of Spring"). The composer takes a simple and memorable folkish motif, introduces it, and then deconstructs it to smithereens, until he gets to the "primitive" but very intricate rhythmic sections that make all "brootal" death metal seem puny in comparison. Other composers of this kind are Sergei Prokofiev (the piano sonatas) and Bela Bartok ("Allegro Barbaro" and "Mikrokosmos").

Yesterday I went to this cool concert in a small church just around the corner from where I live... modern vocal+piano music, they played Schoenberg and simply Berg and several others...wow.

I've yet to see the end of it. Lots of stuff to discover!

regardz,
D Mullholand

welcome back Itay, :D a few days ago i was gonna write a, wheres Itay gone thread after being remind of you when people on the Katatonia forum spelt Renkse wrong, as you well know everone spelt your name wrong in the past as i remember you got a bit pissed off for being called Italy. :lol: :dopey:

anywho as for classical music...my dads got loads of cds. but they're all in the car.

Originally posted by Devilish monster from the hill
all right! now we have 3 israelies posting here!
get ready for world domination!:devil:

are you Saddam Hussein? :eek:

wait, that's Iraq

Originally posted by The Nomad

As for modern classical music (anything after 1800), I don't know much except for Carl Orff's Carmina Burana which is quite fun.
I was SOOOOOO gonna write that! :)

It's an awesome piece. I did a project on it in highschool, and i've loved it ever since. Definitely, DEFINITELY check it out!
You'll probably recognize the first movement from a billion horror movies.

Underground classical, eh?

Four words: Godspeed You Black Emperor!

They're little on the bit more on the experimental side than traditional classical music...comparable to Pink Floyd I suppose.

Just listen to the songs Moya or BBF3 and tell me you're not impressed!

Also I guess anything by Hans Zimmer, he does a lot of soundtrack work for major movies,so I guess it is isn't exactly underground.

He has done work with Sigur Ros, a band from iceland that could pass as classical. Lots of choral arrangements and very angelic sounding vocals.

Originally posted by Ahamkara
Underground classical, eh?

Four words: Godspeed You Black Emperor!

They're little on the bit more on the experimental side than traditional classical music...comparable to Pink Floyd I suppose.

Just listen to the songs Moya or BBF3 and tell me you're not impressed!

Also I guess anything by Hans Zimmer, he does a lot of soundtrack work for major movies,so I guess it is isn't exactly underground.

He has done work with Sigur Ros, a band from iceland that could pass as classical. Lots of choral arrangements and very angelic sounding vocals.
Interesting... why do you associate bands from the post-rock genre with classical? In a way, you're closer to truth than might be obvious, but still, why?

Do you have any other good experimental music to recommend?

D Mullholand