Just Curious...Trad. Classical Composers?

Originally posted by Wolff

There was only one Bach (the Skid Row guy doesn't count). You're probably thinking of the Strauss-es.

Actually brightoffski is correct. There were three members of the Bach family to impact largely on classical music.

Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach (1714-1788),
Johann Christian Bach ((1735-1782),
and the great Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750).

The former two were sons of the more well known member of the dynasty.

My personal favourite composer is Tchaikovsky. The power and grandiosity of the Russian, juxtaposed with the subtle beauty of the quieter passages, is brilliant as far as I'm concerned.

Some people here on this thread did a similar mistake - associating film-music and game-music with classical. Most of the soundtrack stuff isn't really classical, it's popular music written for orchestra. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying 'film music is garbage' - I like good soundtracks, but usage of an orchestra and absence of a song doesn't mean it's classical.
just to row myself out of that lake... the thing i sed was that movie music and game music got me into classical... :)
'cuz movie and game music cant be called classical, 'cuz classical music has to be CLASSICAL!
a symphony can be classical and the other way around, but not all symphonyes are classical... ... and so on... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by brightoffski
First of all, D Mullholand & Hannu Mutanen, this is not directed at either of you personally, I see you are trying to express your own subjective interpretations of what "Classical" music is.
I have some thoughts too...

---snip---

Obviously it has its uses, like in this thread where I was trying to find out in a *broad* sense what the "Classical" tastes of each boardmember are. There is much individual interpretation of what would *appropriately* fit under this banner and I do not profess to know what "Classical" is and what it is not. I have my own idea, but I am 100% sure that it is different to that of everyone else...

You're relatively right (that's an opposite to 'absolutely right', we're talking subjectivity here). I'm not really into genre-pointing, but you'll have to admit that Classical music (more correctly - Western Art music) is a line and tradition that is more or less clearly defined - excepting the roots and the avant-garde blurring of genre-barriers. So if you have a subjective interpretation of some definition of some music into a genre, invent a new word for it, it would be less confusing than when you use the established word 'Classical'.

:loco:

D Mullholand, a snob-imitator
-----------------------------------
NP: Cynic - Focus

Originally posted by Lina
Doh! How embarassing! Yes, you got me, you know the language better than I do. :cry: I'm so impressed. How do you learn all the slang and vernacular? Did you ever study in an English-speaking country? I've traveled in some Eastern European countries and very few people spoke any English, much less perfect English like you! You even know the difference between "who" and "whom" -- I'm the only American left who actually cares about that! :lol:

...and ... and what's the difference between 'who' and 'whom' ?:p

It was mostly reading a lot, especially on the Internet. When I was 16, I already knew English better than my teachers. I've forgotten all the grammar, but somehow I survive on instinct. I constantly feel this itching in my brain when I try to create a sentence which uses 'past perfect continuous' or something like that. :s

D Mullholand
----------------------
NP: Cynic - Focus

Originally posted by E V I L
Mozart's requiem.....my favorite is "Lacrimosa" indeed. I've heard this one at varying tempos- i think i like it best at a slightly slower tempo than, I guess, what's typical. "Confutatis" is cool too.

Confutatis doth rule . (looking for a fitting smiley - yep, this would fit)

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

D Mullholand

Originally posted by D Mullholand
...and ... and what's the difference between 'who' and 'whom' ?
You used it correctly here:

Originally posted by D Mullholand
As far as I know, Bach wrote mainly religiously-oriented music, unlike popstars like Handel and Vivaldi, whom I cannot tolerate more than once a year.
I don't think I even know the rule, per se. I just work it out in my head which one is correct.

Right: "whom I cannot tolerate" ----> "I cannot tolerate them.
Wrong: "who I cannot tolerate" ----> "They I cannot tolerate."

:lol: I can't believe I've taking the time to write this. I truly am anal. Well, what can I say, I work as an editor. (Too bad I can't spell "ditties.") :p

Opeth....classical music....grammar. Go figure!

Originally posted by Lina
The first person who says they like Bach is OFF THE BOARD! :lol: Liking Bach is akin to liking Britney Spears. Both wrote emotionless music because they were being paid.

Umm.....Bach? (Please can I stay on the board???) :rolleyes:
I can't say it's emotionless. Well to one person it mightme dull and to another it may have a lot of feeling, or have sentimental value. Bach does in my case. Toccata and Fugue in G minor (I think).

Chopin - Nice happy music, nothing too brilliant though.

Rachmaninov - Not usually into romanticists, but he rox0rz.

Scarlatti - One of my fave baroque fiends. Cool piano sonatas.

Debussy - Dunno why

Vivaldi - I LOVE his chamber music stuff. And Nulla in mundo Pax Sincera is awesome.

That's about it really...

Originally posted by Klaha
Umm.....Bach? (Please can I stay on the board???)
Umm.....OK. ;)

Originally posted by Klaha
Chopin - Nice happy music, nothing too brilliant though.
:eek: Woah, you haven't heard much then. Maybe 1/4 of his pieces are happy. I love him because most are powerful, passionate, angry or heartbreakingly sad. You literally need muscle strength to play Chopin. Listen to Fantasie Impromptu; "Revolutionary" Etude in C minor, Op. 10, No. 12; Polonaise in A-flat Major, Op. 53; or practically any of the Nocturnes -- some of my favorites to play.

Rent the movie, "A Song to Remember." He bleeds all over the piano cause he's sick and just can't stop pounding away. :headbang: Regardless if it's true or not, it's certainly not a depiction of a "happy" guy.

Maybe Chopin's not your cup of tea, but judging from your description, I'm positive you haven't heard much.