Snare Drum Reverb/Processing

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
Hi am having lots of trouble trying to get a good sounding reverb for the snare on my tracks. I hear using a good plate reverb is what is recommended. I am using freeverb right now so i cant really tweak TOOO much. I am pretty much happy with my snare sound, its just the reverb or maybe something i cant get to settle in with the mix

Sample with song
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2113488/Balls.mp3

Thanks in advance for any advice

Freeverb is pretty awesome.

How much are you eq'ing the verb? it should be on a send, and you should slap an EQ on that to filter out the muddy lows and exaggerated top end. I usually cut out below 300hz and above 6khz, but it all depends on the source and the verb!

Try getting a bit of predelay in the verb, as well, like 10-20ms or so and see if that helps. Decay setting like 1.2-1.6s should be lush, as well!

WAY too much reverse snare, dude!!! Sounds awesome besides that and the verb tho!

tbh, I'd recommend doing something like checking out that youtube video of the megadeth drum tracks and trying to get something similar going on with your reverb.

if you sit there A/Bing it, you learn pretty quickly what each knob does with the reverb and you'll have a much better understanding of what you are aiming for. I personally love the redline reverb (does dirty and clean reverbs and the knobs make a lot of sense). Freeverb is good though for drums.

Use 2 Reverbs for snare.

First is a short one, about 0.6 with 10.20ms of predelay.
And then add another one with about 1.2sec and same predelay.

I use Redline Reverb which is awesome.

try using two different verbs on snare. Maybe make one of them really short and mono with early reflections. mix to taste.

+1

I used ReaVerberate in Reaper on my snares, once first in the chain, then another at the end of the chain. One had a bigger room size than the other, with less verb. results were pretty nice!