So called 'Metal DJ's'

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
Now, I'm not trying to piss anyone off here, but I've noticed a distinctly misleading theme throughout the promotion of several gigs I've been to lately. That's right, metal dj's.

Just reading the Espy Mystic Circle gig flyer and it says a metal dj will be playing all our favourites between bands. That actually equated to a c.d being put on and left until the next band was ready to start. Sometimes there was no music at all... hardly good dj-ing.

Another gig at DV8 said the metal dj would be playing Dissection, Devin Townsend, Emperor etc. and not one of those bands got played. It was instead Alternative Crap with the odd Sepultura track thrown in after 1am.

Anyone else wish a proper dj would play a variety of 'real' metal tracks between bands? It could actually be quite enjoyable sitting there with a beer for 30 minutes between each band.

I know it's a minor detail, but it's annoying :p

The Forest had a guy who would spin discs at the end of the night, except no one would stick around long enough for him to be worthwhile. I used to DJ between bands at metal gigs at the Agincourt and the Iron Duke years ago, but now it just seems to be a way to try to get more punters there.

DJ Maggot McFlogg (Maggs - drummer from Pod People) has done some cool DJ sessions over the years at after parties - he is doing Bloodshed 4 I think and most probably the MFTB afterparty - he plays an excellent range of old thrash and death - no way in hell there'll be a shitty Godsmack song in amongst good stuff - occasionally he sings along too which is always amusing

Mendicant said:
DJ Maggot McFlogg (Maggs - drummer from Pod People) has done some cool DJ sessions over the years at after parties - he is doing Bloodshed 4 I think and most probably the MFTB afterparty - he plays an excellent range of old thrash and death - no way in hell there'll be a shitty Godsmack song in amongst good stuff - occasionally he sings along too which is always amusing

Damn straight!
Maggs puts on a great show and is Australia's only metal DJ, in the true sense of the word.
:headbang:

I think the problem is that the "DJ" is actually the sound guy/girl and he/she is too busy setting up mics and getting levels right to give a damn about changing songs. Perhaps if they paid someone separate to the sound guy/girl to change discs? Dunno it doesnt really bother me as long as there is a decent CD playing.

Goreripper said:
I really wanted to enjoy Maggs' set more at the end of the 2000 MFTB, but I was rat-arsed by then.
heh heh heh I don't even remember there being a dj by the end of that day. I was a just little bit* wasted.

(*completely and totally.)

thehellishone said:
heh heh heh I don't even remember there being a dj by the end of that day. I was a just little bit* wasted.

(*completely and totally.)
He was not on during the day , by the time the last band finished it was about 2am in the morning , that is when he finally got to start .

requiem said:
Now, I'm not trying to piss anyone off here, but I've noticed a distinctly misleading theme throughout the promotion of several gigs I've been to lately. That's right, metal dj's.

Just reading the Espy Mystic Circle gig flyer and it says a metal dj will be playing all our favourites between bands. That actually equated to a c.d being put on and left until the next band was ready to start. Sometimes there was no music at all... hardly good dj-ing.

Another gig at DV8 said the metal dj would be playing Dissection, Devin Townsend, Emperor etc. and not one of those bands got played. It was instead Alternative Crap with the odd Sepultura track thrown in after 1am.

Anyone else wish a proper dj would play a variety of 'real' metal tracks between bands? It could actually be quite enjoyable sitting there with a beer for 30 minutes between each band.

I know it's a minor detail, but it's annoying :p

Hey man,

you'd be pleased to know that a show coming up at the tote has real live metal dj's - Amy & Renee from Necronights. Read the post titled "big upcoming melb show" for rull details. There's some great bands too!