Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Overheads down

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Vocal Down

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Mix as I Track

Votes: 25 37.9%

• Total voters
Can you elaborate the process of blending vocals only at the mastering stage ? I had never heard something like that, I'm curious, I don't see how it can be better.

1. Overheads and room mics and make them sound like 80% like the drums I want.
2. Mix in kick and snare
3. Mix in the rest of the kit
4. Make the whole kit work including parallel compression and everything
5. Mix in Bass and make it work with the kit
6. Mix in Guitars (or whatever the main instrument is). For rock/metal it would be the main rhythm guitars.
7. Mix in Main vocals
These steps form the basic foundation of the mix. Everything else has to find it's space around this foundation and if there's no space, the mute button is your friend ;-)

OHS--->Cymbal Mics---->Kick--->Snare--->Room shit--->bass--->gtrs---Vox

All INTO the master buss/mix while tracking.

Snare first. Get it peaking at about -8db. Get the rest of the drums in proportion to that, and bus it all together. Then the bass, guitars, and vocals later. Any synth bits or strange little effects I do during the mix at various stages, depending on what the song needs.

I was just gonna post something close to this
Actually i kinda mix as i go saves me some time and ear fatigue i think other wise if i wait till the end i might over mix something
for me its drums first and depending on what i have i go from there?? Make sense?? ;-)

Mixing as I go usually getting an idea of how things should go, but I typically end up starting from scratch anyway.
I try my best to make the drums sound like drums and get rid of extra shit that i dont want to here. then i try to work the bass in there and make sure it's not shitting on the drums . then guitars (ah fuck). vocals typically are the easiest for me as i don't do like 500000 takes/harmonies/overdubs for them; i just got to make sure they're not to loud/soft.

For modern rock:

Starting with OH, go next with kick and snare. After that I move to toms.
Once all this element are done I balance my drum (that the fun part).
I start to loop my song peak (generally chorus or a bridge on certain song, it's where I hit 2bus comp hard) and I balance all my drum element for feat how I want it to be for this section. After that I balance all my others sections (Intro, verse...etc).
Next I move to bass, balance bass against drum...
When I get a good flow for drum and bass, I move to vox. Guitar after that and synth layer at the end...

For metal:

Like for modern rock except I do my vox at the end:lol:

I usually mix like i'm moving up the frequency charts, starting low then moving my way up.

Do the kick, then the bass so they punch together, into the guitars/snare/synths/ anything that plays in the mids, then the ovrs.

Most of the time that gives me a pretty solid basis and lets me see the end product before i start the surgical eq's and stuff to make sure its super clean.