so i learned a new trick for making drums THUMP...

So what's that 808 anyway? I tend to hear that a lot but have to admit that I don't really know what it means..

Roland TR808. It's an old analog drum machine. The 808's kick, snare and hats are standard issue electronic drum samples, along with its descendant, the TR909. If you've ever heard any hip-hop or club music at all, there's a good chance you've heard 808 and 909 samples respectively. The 808 kick is a rap mainstay, 'cause it can have huge low end really easily.

If you want to hear an 808 in a metal mix, the electronic drum bit in In Flames' Bullet Ride is done with 808 samples.

2drumagogkomplettxa9.jpg

that's funny, because i constantly look at that knob, thinking "WTF does this do?"

i guess that's what happens when i read the manual while i'm drinking

nice trick !
do you use a high pass on the kick and then add the subsynth ? or just combine the original kick track with with the gates sine wave ?

i found that getting rid of the original low end makes it clearer sounding, and you still have the lows from the sine.

Lowpassed verb...on the kick?! Eek, seems like a recipe for mud-city, especially because I've always read that it's better to high-pass the verb on the snare...but the ears are always the final judge, of course

Lowpassed verb...on the kick?! Eek, seems like a recipe for mud-city, especially because I've always read that it's better to high-pass the verb on the snare...but the ears are always the final judge, of course

It gives the kick a big round sound, but I don't think I would use it for double kick type things, mostly just sparse songs. I just did some Calexico-like type demo things with a big roomy drum sound and it worked really good for that.

The highpassing a snare works because snare hits should crack, not thump. The verby kick helps attain some of that BOOOOOOOM that you can usually only get in Nuendo. :lol:

I used to play in an Industrial metal band years ago and we tried this for the 1st time at a gig, bad idea, turned out that the venue owners actualy liked their glasses to remain on the shelves and not in a million pieces on the floor! We over did it a bit! Was funny though I must admit. Worked a treat to add thump.