So I'm back in the world of PC/Windows and need a few quick pointers...

roy22341

Aug 23, 2008
Lafayette, LA
After living in Mac land for the past few years I got a PC again (Dell XPS 2.66GHz Quad-Core with 8GB of RAM and two 640GB HDs) with Windows 7. This is pretty much going to be a dedicated audio workstation so other than some random updates here and there it won't be on the internet very often at all, no games, no word processing shit - nothing - keeping her pure.

Side note: I forgot how much of a pain Windows can be sometimes, I actually have to work when I install hardware again. I actually had to edit the registry (of a new computer) in order to get ProTools working...sigh...

So point is, what types of changes should I make to Windows 7 in order to absolutely maximize performance for audio work, particular with ProTools 7.3 and keeping in mind that most of the work I do will be 'in the box.' It's been so long since I've dealt with Windows (and I've never dealt with 7) that I'm not sure what would be best. Thanks a ton.

What types of changes should I make to Windows 7 in order to absolutely maximize performance
Nothing at all. Don't touch it, leave it just the way it is.

You can disable the fancy GUI and all by using the setting "use for best performance".
best-performance-xp.jpg

But with a quad-core and 8GB of memory i don't think you'd have any trouble.
Windows 7 is a fine OS.

in the other thread, some dudes mentioned protools7 won't run in windows7. and that only recently has a win7 compatible protools beta launched. so ya might wanna hold off for a bit...

Side note: I forgot how much of a pain Windows can be sometimes, I actually have to work when I install hardware again. I actually had to edit the registry (of a new computer) in order to get ProTools working...sigh...

You blame Windows for Digidesign's shortcomings?

I never had to edit my registry for PT (7.4 cs10) to work but then again, I'm still on XP so ....

sorry I can't contribute much. Most likely it's just Digi's fault. I like that answer :)