Would anyone be interested in a PC build tutorial?

Damian B

¯\(°_o)/¯
Nov 8, 2007
NC, USA
I'm getting ready to build a new studio PC in the next few days. I know many members here are familiar with the process (it's not exactly difficult), but would any n00bies be interested in a guide?

I would explain why I purchased the parts I did, show pictures of the build with explanations of components, and detail the installation of Windows plus optimization for audio work.

Would anyone read it? I don't want to go through the effort if everyone already knows this stuff haha. :p

[/offtopic]
I just wanted to say this cases rock
http://www.compucase-hec.co.uk/ipc_4u.htm

I built my new computer two weeks ago in a rack case and now I have all my recording stuff in one 8U rack including desktop PC. It looks very professional, and you can easily take your rig away with no cable fuck-up, when you need to record somewhere else. You only need a good bag for screen, keyboard and mouse and it's pretty easy to take with you and setup anywhere. And yes, I hate laptops, that's not an option cause I think it's almost as simple to take a tft screen with you as taking a laptop.
[/offtopic]

On topic:

Yes please. I would really like to see your explanations on things like choosing SSD over HDD. And ofc optimization guide for Win 7 64bit for audio purposes would be nice :)

Yes! Please do this! i'm sick of my Mac G5 not being compatible with 70% of the plugs & software i wanna use!

Cool! The parts should be arriving tomorrow but I'm doing a session in the evening, so I probably won't get a chance to build it until Thursday. Look for a tutorial by the weekend!

A topic I'd like to read about is about harddrives in audio computers. How many harddrives, how they are used (raw audio, samples, OS?) and the recommended write/read speed for them to work efficiently (no drop outs etc).

I posted this in another thread earlier today but these are some things I did in regards to optimizing my PC (from Presonus; I use Studio One Pro):

http://www.presonus.com/community/learn/musicians/optimization-guide-for-vista/

Right now I'm running a Toshiba laptop with a AMD dual core processor 4GB RAM, and 320GB hard drive. I'm about to upgrade to 8GB RAM though as my system starts to get bogged down with multiple tracks of plugins. So on that note, I suggest 8GB of RAM. I would like to upgrade soon to a machine with the i7 processor as I hear that's one of the best processors to run recording software on. I've been kinda back and forth between that and an iMac; I'll more than likely be sticking with a PC though.

Hope some of this (and the link) helps.