...So im converting my Marshall MG15 into a head

fenders

Jun 28, 2009
its a marshall mg15cd and im basically doing this for practice/fun. So i've taken it out of the casing and things, and i hope to be able to actually use the shell of the combo for the case to the head if possible. here's a pic,

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2255790/ibanez pics/photo (6).JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2255790/ibanez pics/photo (5).JPG

So, i really made this thread to suggest to me ways to mod it! i've been interested in learning and this seems like the perfect way to do so. please suggest things, and hopefully tell me how? i am pretty much a complete newbie when it comes to these things. thanks guys!

one big thing that i'd like to know is how to make it usable with a cab (in this case a 2x12 orange 16ohm)

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine making it usable with a cab means just soldering the wires going to the speaker to a female jack.

Yeah you are right. I actually thought of that but I guess I was trying to over complicate the process in my head. So another question, essentially if I wanted find some schematics of really anything solid state I could buy the parts and use this as an enclosure for them?

Don't waste your time and money man. Not trying to be a dick by any means, but you are barking up the wrong tree here.
If you are interested in tinkering, you are better off buying something else. Hell, get a Valve Jr and turn it into a beast for pennies, and learn a lot. Or buy a kit and build an amp.

You won't accomplish anything by hooking that solid state 15w into a 2x12. Heck there probably isn't even enough output to push the 8inch speaker it comes with.

haha yeah man, i know youre not being a dick. i was acutally thinking of buying parts for an orange tiny terror diagram that i found. It seems like it could work because of the small wattage, that it would have less parts? not exactly sure but the diagram looks rather simple.(simple as opposed to other schematics i have found) is this a good idea?

if not is there any kit you would suggest that isnt too expensive? thanks man

haha yeah man, i know youre not being a dick. i was acutally thinking of buying parts for an orange tiny terror diagram that i found. It seems like it could work because of the small wattage, that it would have less parts? not exactly sure but the diagram looks rather simple.(simple as opposed to other schematics i have found) is this a good idea?

if not is there any kit you would suggest that isnt too expensive? thanks man

I wouldn't start off with a tiny terror. You want to go lower gain and lower wattage when dealing with your first tube amp. When you start going higher gain, there is a lot of things that can go wrong with wiring and layout if you are inexperienced.

I would do one of 2 things-

1) Buy a valve Jr for dirt cheap, and mod it to learn.

2) Head over to ax84.com, pick a build and buy a kit. The forum there can walk you through every step of the build, and they have documentation that explains what each component in the amp is there for. Great way to dive straight in and learn a ton. I would reccomend starting with a P1-Extreme or a Hi-Octane kit.