SO i'm going into a studio...manners?

kool98769

Mar 9, 2011
So, I talked to a guy who runs a local studio (with very nice gear might I add!) and I talked him into letting me sit in on some stuff and hopefully pick up a few things here and there!

Now, I'm a very respectful person, and i'm great at taking cues of when to keep my mouth shut, but I want to make sure that the guy will have no problem with me coming back in the future.

So, to you guys who work in studios/own studios, what should I make sure to not do? What is proper studio etiquette?

Just dont be a mess. Dont make a mess, leave garbage, have open drinks on the gear/anywhere near the gear, when you notice them working dont be talking, etc. Just do what you feel is right.

What Bryan said. If you are good at reading people though, I HAVE lent my ears from time to time when I thought it was appropriate...

However, if you don't have any tact with that then just don't, because while it can be helpful it can also come across like your a fucking little prick douche that needs to shut his fucking mouth. :lol:

But the guys I interned with bounced stuff off each other all the time. I guess it depends on the engineer and the studio.

It was never anything big, just things like "I think the low mids of the guitars are smearing the toms a little" shit like that.

If you are watching the tracking being done though I would just watch, because people just have different ways of doing that and getting it done and you are much more likely to learn just watching at that stage. The occasional question is appropriate, just don't fucking over do it. :lol:

Be respectful in every possible way, don't have a shitty attitude and like these guys said, don't pee in the coffee pot.

Be quiet. Never, ever, ever "lend your ears" unless you are asked for it or it is specifically made clear that you are welcome to give your opinions during the session. If you question the engineer's choices in the presence of the client, you're pretty much done. Telling the band you really dig their stuff when you're having a cigarette break is cool. Telling them the bass tone is a bit weird is not. Yeah, the truth might be that you could do a better job than the engineer, but no-one gives a fuck. The band won't tell the engineer to piss off and put you in charge.

Be respectful. Clean up after yourself, wash that coffee cup you used, don't stuff your candy bar wrapping in the bin if it's overflowing. Ask before you enter the control room with your shoes on or bring a soda or a pizza in there. Ask how they want their cables coiled, and if you're unfamiliar with the technique, ask them to show you. Never, ever force mic stands without loosening them. Studio owners can be meticulous about this stuff.

Be helpful. Take out the trash. Make coffee. When the engineer is finishing up at the end of the day, offer to clean up the shit the band left lying around. The engineer will love you infinitely more if you help out with the shitty work rather than offer your golden advice on snare compression. The ugly truth is, when the session's over, it's the engineer/studio owner who washes the dishes, cleans up the empty chips bags and flushes the huge pile of shit the bassist left in the toilet. If you help him out there, you're genuinely valuable.

This stuff is probably obvious to you, but believe me, it isn't for everyone :lol:

Be quiet. Never, ever, ever "lend your ears" unless you are asked for it or it is specifically made clear that you are welcome to give your opinions during the session. If you question the engineer's choices in the presence of the client, you're pretty much done. Telling the band you really dig their stuff when you're having a cigarette break is cool. Telling them the bass tone is a bit weird is not. Yeah, the truth might be that you could do a better job than the engineer, but no-one gives a fuck. The band won't tell the engineer to piss off and put you in charge.

Be respectful. Clean up after yourself, wash that coffee cup you used, don't stuff your candy bar wrapping in the bin if it's overflowing. Ask before you enter the control room with your shoes on or bring a soda or a pizza in there. Ask how they want their cables coiled, and if you're unfamiliar with the technique, ask them to show you. Never, ever force mic stands without loosening them. Studio owners can be meticulous about this stuff.

Be helpful. Take out the trash. Make coffee. When the engineer is finishing up at the end of the day, offer to clean up the shit the band left lying around. The engineer will love you infinitely more if you help out with the shitty work rather than offer your golden advice on snare compression. The ugly truth is, when the session's over, it's the engineer/studio owner who washes the dishes, cleans up the empty chips bags and flushes the huge pile of shit the bassist left in the toilet. If you help him out there, you're genuinely valuable.

This stuff is probably obvious to you, but believe me, it isn't for everyone :lol:

I guess it is pretty obvious for the most part. Just be respectful while in someone else's space....that's something my parents always drilled very hard...and I'm glad they did.

I'll make sure I pay special attention to your first sentence.

One good thing, is after talking to him for a while about some things, and show him one of my mixes, he seemed to have (some) respect for me, so I at least know he's not just going to be a total dick.

And also, I shower atleast 1 time daily, only wear clothes 1 time before washing them (jeans excluded!) and brush my teeth/smell good...So I think i'll be alright there :lol:

Man I couldn't have said it better myself.

Also. If i catch you winding a cable on your elbow you're dead.

I'll make sure I pay special attention to your first sentence.

Yeah, it's something that's usually done with the best intentions, but if you think about it, it can go one of two ways. Either your opinion is off and everyone in the room thinks you're a bit of a goofball who shouldn't be giving his opinions in the first place, or your opinion is valid which makes the client think "Fuck, I'm paying this studio dude considerable amounts of money and yet this strange dude helping around the studio knows this shit better than he does", which puts engineer in a very awkward situation.

I'm sure you'll be fine, though, enjoy your time there! :)

So, to you guys who work in studios/own studios, what should I make sure to not do? What is proper studio etiquette?

I don't own a fancy schmancy studio.. just a home-setup..
But I'd say (asumeing your a guy):

-Be clean; brush your teeth, shave, take a shower etc.
Sitting beside someone or in the same room with a shitbreath and sweaty balls building up, it's gonna be a gaschamber in there..
And don't overdo it on perfume either..

-Clothes; I'd say wear what makes you comfortable, but not looking like a sack o' crap..

-Never be late, always be there atleast 5 minutes early, if you smoke, be there 15 minutes early and do your shit and rinse your lungs..

-Bring a waterbottle and if you're one of those people that will die if they don't eat anything, bring fruit, but ask them first if it's okay..

-Clean up after yourself, if it's bananapeels or shit, that can go rotten, I suggest you take it with you..

-Don't start fiddling with gear, some people have their settings..

-Shut off your phone, I'd say that it is annoying if you don't seem to pay attention, just sms:ing or other crap.. and it can also affect the gear when recording.. and it looks bad running out for calls or whatever..

-Bring pen and paper, if it's an issue for you, ask them if you can record audio etc. to remember stuff.. if you have a portable recorder of some kind..

-Don't interrupt them during mixing, with talking, wait inbetween those moments, you can always write down your questions if you fear you'll forget them..

A lot may seem like common sense.. but it's better to overstate what you mean..
Some people just don't have any respect nor common sense and just walk right in and start moving stuff, fiddling with things, break out a big bag of chips and start smearing fat over your newly stringed guitar..

Mh.. kinda odd question, to be honest... Just be social, be a nice and fun guy to work with and have some fun in the studio.. you've been living on this planet for some time now, you should've developed some social skills that guide you... a producer won't kill you if you do something wrong... except if you do it by purpose and cause some serious damage :)

Some things I learned interning and having interns:

Don't second-guess the engineer or producer in front of the client. If you notice something is fucked up (like a tom mic was moved away from the kit...who hasn't been so slammed that you forgot to put it back after replacing the head?) whisper it in his ear, or pull him aside politely.

Be courteous, don't speak unless it's appropriate, and don't disturb anyone when they're focused on getting work done. Basically being a polite, respectful person is all you need to do.

Mh.. kinda odd question, to be honest... Just be social, be a nice and fun guy to work with and have some fun in the studio.. you've been living on this planet for some time now, you should've developed some social skills that guide you... a producer won't kill you if you do something wrong... except if you do it by purpose and cause some serious damage :)

Not an odd question at all! You'd be surprised how many interns completely fuck up their chances of ever landing a job in the studio by not taking a moment to consider these things unlike what the OP is doing right here.

I'm not saying studio owners and audio engineers are all insane despots, but a recording studio is a very intimate and fragile working environment much unlike an office, for example. Keep in mind, the guys behind the consoles usually have a fortune invested in their business, and the people they work with are sensitive, artistic personalities that need to be handled in a very specific way. The last thing they want in a session is a kid with an attitude making careless comments and dicking around because he thinks he's being funny.

Just the fact that the OP is thinking about this stuff in advance and asking about it means he's probably someone I would be glad to have in the control room with me instead of someone I'd have to constantly worry about :)

Lol, my ears would never be lent in front of the client. That would have been retarded.

Man, I've heard horror stories from fellow engineers and seen it happen myself a couple of times in the most awkward moments... Imagine the atmosphere after a completely uncalled-for "I would've doubled that line, that's how I usually do things" from the back of the CR :zombie:

I occasionally have people come in with clients that sit right up next to me, or between myself and the rack... I hate that. When I'm trying to adjust levels or watch gain reduction meters and I have to look around someone, it sucks. Just stay out of the way, speak when spoken to. If you notice some dead air, or the talent is taking a break, ask questions then. Many times, I'm on the talk back and kids are asking what preamps I'm using... Or making a comment about the compression an engineer used on another record and saying it must how he had his preamp set. Dumb shit like that won't have you asked back. Thank the guy when your done and offer any intern like help in the future. Just don't nag. We're touchy people, haha. Don't suck up either. Just be cool!

PS: Be clean and keep breath mints.

Not an odd question at all! You'd be surprised how many interns completely fuck up their chances of ever landing a job in the studio by not taking a moment to consider these things unlike what the OP is doing right here.

I'm not saying studio owners and audio engineers are all insane despots, but a recording studio is a very intimate and fragile working environment much unlike an office, for example. Keep in mind, the guys behind the consoles usually have a fortune invested in their business, and the people they work with are sensitive, artistic personalities that need to be handled in a very specific way. The last thing they want in a session is a kid with an attitude making careless comments and dicking around because he thinks he's being funny.

Just the fact that the OP is thinking about this stuff in advance and asking about it means he's probably someone I would be glad to have in the control room with me instead of someone I'd have to constantly worry about :)

yeah, of course nothing wrong with asking and i know that there are tons of people who behave like cavemen, but dunno.. it's just that from my point of view, all these points mentioned are really obvious and kinda self-evident...

I occasionally have people come in with clients that sit right up next to me, or between myself and the rack... I hate that. When I'm trying to adjust levels or watch gain reduction meters and I have to look around someone, it sucks. Just stay out of the way, speak when spoken to. If you notice some dead air, or the talent is taking a break, ask questions then. Many times, I'm on the talk back and kids are asking what preamps I'm using... Or making a comment about the compression an engineer used on another record and saying it must how he had his preamp set. Dumb shit like that won't have you asked back. Thank the guy when your done and offer any intern like help in the future. Just don't nag. We're touchy people, haha. Don't suck up either. Just be cool!

PS: Be clean and keep breath mints.

I recently had a band bring some of their mates into a recording, it was the most off putting, counter-productive thing. Talking, laughing, questioning every single thing we were doing. Constantly asking to hear stuff we'd done earlier. I hated it.

I've had a few people come do work experience under me for live work and it can be pretty awkward at times. Sometimes there's just not alot of work to be done and try not to look super bored and not interested in this situation. Also, don't be offended if you don't get to do some of the work you would like to- some guys like to position the mics themselves and do some patching for more complicated things so that they know it's done right.