Establishing a Studio in the Local Scene

If you plan on earning a living 100% from recording/mixing I think you need to curb your expectations on the quality of artists you work with. I know a guy with a $200,000 debt to pay off his studio and to make it work he mainly records kids with parents paying for the time and even does things like editing and mastering doctors' and therapists' speeches and lectures, company seminar videos, makes videos and press packs and stuff like that so he can pay the bills. He tried working with all the scene bands and they never have much money, or don't pay the full amount, and they spread slander about him when they don't pay him the full amount and he refuses the masters. I see the same thing being a music teacher with a house to pay off, the great players who are the most enjoyable to teach always end up being the worst choice financially. Dudes in their 20's can be so dirty when it comes to money and responsibility. But if you are the best in the business and have the reputation then none of that should be a problem. If you have a real job do what the other guys said about recording a great up and coming band for free but if you need the money working for free is absurd.

1) I agree, being realistic is 100% necessary, absolutely. And the fact is money in audio is not in metal. spoken word and corprate work can be great on the side and even lead to a "real" job in audio to support you focus on local groups.

2) True, but it may expedite your client growth exponentially, to record one or 2 project free of charge. The balance is key