Question about drums (not your usual question though.)

Vinny

Jun 4, 2009
New Braunfels, Texas
So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I bought a pretty large collection of mics and stuff earlier in the year for drums (bunch of Sm57s, Ksm32, Beta 52, D6, Oktava MK-012s, and some others) and was planning on building a drum booth. But, I can't do that anymore since we are currently trying to sell our house (I live at home with parents). So that leaves me with 4 options-
-Program drums for clients (for pretty low price)
-Book time in a studio (price would go up exponentially)
-Tell the band to go record drums with another engineer
-Get an e-kit

I have been programming drums for all my recent projects due to this dilemma. But I want to be as professional as possible and most clients are not fond of having programmed drums (plus it takes quite a while). I do this for a very low price since it is so unprofessional. I honestly don't want to keep doing this though.

Booking time in a studio would be much more preferred, but it's hard finding studios that will let you just do your thing. I don't want to make the band pay for an extra engineer either (Since most studio owners won't let you use their space unsupervised, not to mention the other engineer would butt heads with you on how to do your thing). Plus the price for the band would go up alot (Most places charge 25 bucks an hour just to use the space.)

I can tell the band to go record with another engineer in their own studio. I have been contemplating this quite alot. But I run into the problem that the band would just stay at the studio and record there for the rest of their project (therefore I would be out of business.)

I could get an electronic kit. But they are pretty expensive for decent ones that feel somewhat real (I'd be using my own samples, not the samples in the drum brain.) And just like programing drums, clients aren't too fond of this. I think Lucas records with an e-kit (from that Betraying The Martyrs promo video I saw.)

So I need some serious advice and help. I really don't k now what to do. I have gotten 10-12 requests to record this Summer, but so far none of those have happened due to my indecisiveness.

Any help is really, really appreciated.

I live right in between the Austin/San Antonio, TX area just for reference.

Thank you so much guys!

You could send them to me to get drums tracked and I wouldn't steal the project from you, making it very clear to the band I am only to track the drums. I could do $100/day (9am-10pm) for you. I have been doing session drums here with my friend Lyle and I like that for those projects I only have to track the drums and somebody else has to deal with editing and mixing :lol:

You could send them to me to get drums tracked and I wouldn't steal the project from you, making it very clear to the band I am only to track the drums. I could do $100/day (9am-10pm) for you. I have been doing session drums here with my friend Lyle and I like that for those projects I only have to track the drums and somebody else has to deal with editing and mixing :lol:

Would you really do this for me? And only 100 bucks a day??? Dude, I would love you forever!! (no homo)
But seriously. If we could get in touch about this, it would be an absolute godsend.
The projects are really everything from Death Metal, to Alternative Rock, to a Led Zeppelin-style band haha.

Yeah it's not a big deal, I make money and fill my free days with work, you have a solution to your situation, win-win. If you have AIM my screen name is winterskiesprod, or you can PM here/e-mail me at winterskiesprod-AT-gmail.com

wvbsjs.jpg
[/IMG]