for those of you that program drums a question!!!

rispsira

Mar 18, 2010
Hey everyone!

im setting up to record things at home which is a change from the rehearsal room. Mostly record some new ideas and show it to the band members.

What i need is to program drums for my riffs etc.

But i was just wondering how you go on about doing it?:

- i can write them in guitar pro but when i import it to cubase all the peices are on one track unless i write them on different tracks on guitar pro which is annoying (a track for kick, another for hats etc)
- Or is there a way to link the midi numbers of guitar pro to a peice of kit from the sample software?
- Any other way you do it?

In other words; how do you write your drums before you replace them with samples? Im not asking how to write drums just to be clear, rather what method you use.

Im considering buying the slate drum sample, i just want to figure out how to do this first.

Thanks!!

I program all my drums in the Piano Roll in Sonar then I import the MIDI Tracks into reaper on a single track. After its imported I take each piece of the kit and put it on a separate track by copying the original import then deleting the pieces of the kit that should not be on that track.

If this is just for demos I don't think you would have to go that far, and if you are using Slate it has a built in Mixer that you can use to fine tune your drum volumes.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Im thinking if that's possible with reaper maybe theres a way in cubase to seperate the midi tracks?

I'm confused as to why you need to separate them.

Midi drums are usually in one midi file. With each eat piece of the kit corresponding to different midi note values. Kick = c2, etc.

Samplers, like SSD, or SD2.0 will read these note values from your midi track and trigger the correct kit piece.

I write all my drums in guitar pro and import them into cubase and I haven't had any problems at all...some things have to be moved around to fix the mapping in whatever drum program i'm currently using.

I suggest you guys learn the piano roll, programing drums in guitar pro seems like a masochistic idea.

You get reeeally used to GP though, Anytime I think kick drum.. I just think 36 :)

Seriously, I've memorized the drum kit map in guitar pro after using it to write eveything for so long.

---------57--
-------------
-40 40-------
-------------
-------------
---------36--

-P

I'm confused as to why you need to separate them.

Midi drums are usually in one midi file. With each eat piece of the kit corresponding to different midi note values. Kick = c2, etc.

Samplers, like SSD, or SD2.0 will read these note values from your midi track and trigger the correct kit piece.

Yes I know this, but when you are mixing it makes it easier to use a single mixer instead of having to run back and forth between SS / Slate and the mixer in your DAW.

If I want to turn the volume down on the kick all I have to do is grab the kick channel not load up the VST plugin and adjust the mixer in there :)

Yes I know this, but when you are mixing it makes it easier to use a single mixer instead of having to run back and forth between SS / Slate and the mixer in your DAW.

If I want to turn the volume down on the kick all I have to do is grab the kick channel not load up the VST plugin and adjust the mixer in there :)

Thats why you would route the instruments to their own tracks from the sampler.

Unless I'm missing something here....

You can route the outputs of your sampler drum pieces to their own track in your daw. Can can adjust volume, panning, add EQ, comp, whatever on each track if you want.

I use SSD, and I usually only go back into the sampler to adjust the volume of a drum's room level.

writing in guitar pro, importing the midi to one single track in the daw, and routing the instruments of the drum sampler (ssd in my case) to different daw channels. works like a charm.
plus i'm 1000000000000000000 times faster in guitar pro than in the piano roll. i think i know the whole gp drum map by heart hehe.

Thats why you would route the instruments to their own tracks from the sampler.

Unless I'm missing something here....

You can route the outputs of your sampler drum pieces to their own track in your daw. Can can adjust volume, panning, add EQ, comp, whatever on each track if you want.

I use SSD, and I usually only go back into the sampler to adjust the volume of a drum's room level.

I havent actually tried this :O

Ya WTF am I thinking ...lol

Hey.

Using cubase you import the MIDI file. After importing the gp MIDI file (drum track). Select the track and go to: MIDI -> Dissolve Part, and chose seperate tracks. Now you should get the kick, snare, hi-hat etc. on seperate tracks. Thats normally how it worked for me, now Im using the bus work around, much easier imo. :D

I love the Piano Roll in Sonar, no issue with it ever :)

I still find this more quicker to work with:

Cubase_LE-20090126-071234.jpg

thanks for all the replies!

I should definetely try this piano roll in sonar.. That will mean a change from cubase but i heard that it would be better for me to use sonar with windows 7 at 64 bit. Didnt go too much into cubase besides the basic stuff so it might be ok i dono still considering..

-> As you can see im really stupid in everything technology related.

Imbow may i ask you what you meant by "Thats normally how it worked for me, now Im using the bus work around, much easier imo."

writing in guitar pro, importing the midi to one single track in the daw, and routing the instruments of the drum sampler (ssd in my case) to different daw channels. works like a charm.
plus i'm 1000000000000000000 times faster in guitar pro than in the piano roll. i think i know the whole gp drum map by heart hehe.

+1.haha