Slightly Controversial Opinion: Gear lists on studio websites and pages.

tempe

Captain Midnight
Sep 22, 2005
Perth, Australia
Didn't really know where to post this... but here I go.

I don't think listing equipment lists on your studio page is a good idea. To me your work should be about your work, not what xyz converter / compressor / preamp / EQ / console you're running.

I feel sometimes that equipment lists are a little bit of a pissing contest between studios and nothing more. Clients should come to your studio via what the quality of your previous work and your relationship / word of mouth from other clients.

That being said my studio lists equipment... maybe I should take it down. How important do you guys feel your gear has been to getting you bookings?

IMO, every studio should have a gear list. For the professional ones, tons of different people (engineers, producers, musicians) all come in and out, and do tons of different projects. They want to know what they'll be working on. If I'm looking for a studio in town and I don't know what system they run, that they have decent converters and mics that I like, or anything else about them, I'll quickly move on to another one. You just have to remember real studios cater as much to engineers and producers as they do to bands themselves, so it's important to show what you have to work with.

Tempe, i think you have the idea in your head that most studios are run by a single engineer/producer, which if they were you would be right! Why read the gear list instead of listening to the persons work? But most studios are not run like this, most studios have different engineers/producers/artists/labels etc that come in to use it as a facility (like when you book a rehearsal space, tennis court or something) so in that case its not about what the studio has done or the sounds it got because a studio can't physically get sounds with out an engineer. So then it becomes about what you can use to get your sounds there. I had a similar thought recently then i realized a lot of the bigger engineers/producers go to all sorts of different studios to record bands or.. sometimes just record a certain instrument (drums) at a different studio. But then again some producers have their own studios where the do everything for example jason suecof at metal hammer, or Zuess at.. whatever the hell is studios called. Some producers/engineers do not have a home studio they just get work and pick a studio to record it at.

hope that helps!? if you are the only person at your studio then it shouldnt be called "blablahbla recording studio" it should be like "Billy Bobs Music Productions"?

But then again some producers have their own studios where the do everything for example jason suecof at metal hammer

But Suecof is a special case and mostly works there because he is in a wheelchair. I bet he would work almost anywhere if he wouldn't be handicapped.

But the gearlist is there for people to see that if they are using say Pro Tools HD rig, set of gear they like and "let's book that studio because it's cheaper than Studio X and has similar gear"

Sorry, I got a little bit backwards there before. I meant in the case of producers and self run studios. For big commercial studios it 100% makes sense!

Keep in mind many artists only work with certain chains. Especially vocalists. They may/will require a specific pre-amp, mic, etc. So while your thoughts are in the right place, it isnt practical business wise.

Sorry, I got a little bit backwards there before. I meant in the case of producers and self run studios.

You mean self-proclaimed producers and glorified bedroom studios aka everyone and their grandmother.

I'm not trying to be a smartass but that's what people call studios nowadays and that's a bit delusional imho.

I've worked in both real commercial recording facilities and various bedrooms (actually more and more homestudios lately).
Not the same thing. And that's not to say you can't get great results in a bedroom or crappy results at Ocean Way.
But young padawans need to know the difference.

For a home/project studio gear list don't make sense.
A) it looks like you're bragging, in reality your gear likely isn't that impressive.
B) Musicians don't know shit about recording gear
C) if a musician won't work with you because you don't have X mic or outboard, you really don't want to work with that kind of dickhead anyway.
D) You can always rent anything you want/need for any project so the list is again irrelevant.

Only engineers care about gear lists. If you're not renting your space out to other engineers it doesn't matter and is probably a bad idea. If you have a multi-room facility or are open to freelance engineers then it might help. On the other hand, if the gear is decent at all and works then the freelancer won't care that much about the specifics.

I list the brands of gear I use but not any of the models. Good audio clips and photos and easy to find contact info is the most important stuff for the website.

For a home/project studio gear list don't make sense.
A) it looks like you're bragging, in reality your gear likely isn't that impressive.
B) Musicians don't know shit about recording gear
C) if a musician won't work with you because you don't have X mic or outboard, you really don't want to work with that kind of dickhead anyway.
D) You can always rent anything you want/need for any project so the list is again irrelevant.

Only engineers care about gear lists.
I think this is misguided. Musicians constantly second guess engineers or get things in their head that define whether or not you can do professional work (Neumann and Neve come to mind). Unless you are truly sought after it's unlikely you'll be in a position to simply let your work speak for itself. A gear list is just another sales pitch angle and whether or not it should matter doesn't change the fact that it will matter to some potential clients.
On the other hand, when people's gear list reads like a sweetwater starter pack I'm immediately turned off. So maybe, list gear only if it's impressive-- don't list "custom PC, tone port, SM57."

A quick reply to the OP.. Yes and no.

Depends what you're looking at doing. Either way, quality samples are always going to be worth more than a good gear list - and this should really be all that matters when getting work. Think for example audio engineering schools - they have damn impressive consoles, outboard lists, mic catalogue, etc... But not a single student is able to pull a half decent mix. However, if you're dry-hiring gear or renting the studio out, gear lists are important. Also, another thing (to half contradict what I just said)... If you had no idea about audio engineering or studios and you were browsing the net, if you came across a couple of studios.. One with a console and a few mics listed, one with a whole page of gear.. Naturally most musicians would take interest in the latter; the studio that most would deduct to be the most established. Can look pretty impressive and can also give you a professional look. As I said, this isn't what should matter in the long run but unfortunately this is how things seem to go a lot these days.

Not long ago I was contacted by a musician asking me to remix a release he had recently put out.. Not an engineer, probably absolutely no idea about anything remotely studio related (bar instruments obviously). He liked my work but didn't go with me for the remix as I didn't have the Waves Maserati plugins.. Supposedly, these were 'crucial' for 'his sound'. What a douche.

Their experience and the way they listen and use the gear is what you're paying for.

Yes. But it's nice to know some detail on what they've got to get an idea of how they work.
Do they have enough inputs to accommodate a large drum kit?
What vocal mic's do they have?
Do they record real amps? Or am I going to be told to plug into a POD when I get there?
If they record real amps then what guitar amps are there? Is what they have adequate or do I need to bring my own?

Yes. But it's nice to know some detail on what they've got to get an idea of how they work.
Do they have enough inputs to accommodate a large drum kit?
What vocal mic's do they have?
Do they record real amps? Or am I going to be told to plug into a POD when I get there?
If they record real amps then what guitar amps are there? Is what they have adequate or do I need to bring my own?

These questions could be answered with a 2 min phone call, even if the answer was listed on the site, it's likely something you'd want to discuss with the engineer personally anyway.

Studio gear list= Advertisement for thieves.
Lets them know what they need to find a fence for.
Just sayin....