So, now that NINE is out, what are people's opinions?

Ninfix

Gamer of life
Nov 30, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I'm hoping we might get this forum going for a bit now that the new album finally is out - I KNOW I'm not the only one here who wants to see some new posts and threads when they check the CM forum occasionally.

So, the most obvious thing to discuss right now is NINE. What are people's thoughts regarding this shiny new disc of smoking hot melodic prog metal?

IMO the album is quite good. Amazing, in fact. I haven't been very impressed with my other "favorite" bands lately - Dream Theater and Opeth's latest albums are far from their best, and the lack of anything from Porcupine Tree leaves me wanting some GOOD new metal to sink my teeth into.

At first, I was skeptical. I was afraid my tremendous expectations was going to leave me unable to enjoy the new experience, but this fear vanished completely when I started "Forging" on my iPod. I immediately fell into that amazing state of mind I get into whenever I listen to CM. The small samples from the previous records made me smile, as comprehension dawned; the next Circus Maximus album was finally here.

The first "FUCK YEAH!:headbang: " moment I had with NINE was 1:17 in "Architect of Fortune". This passage told me to relax, because they were still the same band, with the same kick ass music. And I was not disappointed with the rest of the album. Some pop-ish songs, some really heavy, groovy 5-minute tunes, and some long prog monsters, the latter being my favorite types. Now, a month later (today in fact, haha) I can only say that this album is all I was hoping for. They've changed, matured in a really healthy way. It's not good for a band to make the exact same type of record over and over (*cough*DT*cough), so I'm happy that I can hear the difference both musically and technically, yet say with certainty that it's Mats, Truls and the rest of the gang playing.

Listing a few favorite moments from NINE:

Favorite vocal line: Chorus in Architect of Fortune. Worthy mention: Muse-ish verse in Burn After Reading.

Guitar riff: Burn After Reading/Game of Life (you know wich ones I'm talking about)

Solo: Mats' guitar solo in The Last Goodbye. Sounds like the guitar is crying. Amazing stuff right there.

Drum passage/break: 4:00-4:30 in Burn After Reading

Overall favorite song: Burn After Reading, without a doubt.

This album is amazing. My favorite tracks would probably be Architect of Fortune and Burn After Reading. My favorite moments, the end of the instrumental section right before it goes quiet. HOLY SHIT. Also, the end of Last Goodbye. I love the ambiance and soothing melodies. Beautiful. The second verse of AoF is also bad ass. The album reminds me of The Magnificent in a lot of ways and I love that. And Michael Eriksen. My new favorite vocalist. \m/ \m/ Dream Theater is my favorite band, but Circus Maximus' first 3 albums are better than DT's last 4. I love these guys. :worship:

What is making me not listen this album properly,is the mixing,i don't know,i know that either Eriksen's voice is too low,or the instrumental too high,that makes me really mad,not only because i'm a wannabe singer,but because Eriksen in the past 2 years or something,really improved (you were already really good),but now,the amount of core in your voice,u don't shout when going high,all vowels,you pronounce perfectly,even U and I,it's really vibrant and powerful.

The magnificent record showed how incredible you sound now (not to mention u showed almost all of your range in that record),but in Nine,your voice is mixed really bad (i think its the mixing,don't know).

I've been listening to this album on a regular basis since it was released. It's with-out-a-doubt my favorite album of 2012. I love it to death, in fact I'm giving it a listen through as I type this...Namaste! They really came into their own with this record. I can't get enough!!!

I agree, I think they really established themselves with this record, listen to it all the time since it came out. Am I the only one that loves the solo on Used?? Burn after reading, architect of fortune, one, and used are my favorites!

To me it's a great album that I enjoy a lot.
But somehow I don't think they topped Isolate.
Nine doesn't have the same impact on me as Isolate.
To me Isolate is very close to being a perfect album. I've heard it so many times now but I keep discovering new things and there's just so much going on in the song.
It's intense, melodic, very virtuosic and just awesome in general.

To me it's a great album that I enjoy a lot.
But somehow I don't think they topped Isolate.
Nine doesn't have the same impact on me as Isolate.
To me Isolate is very close to being a perfect album. I've heard it so many times now but I keep discovering new things and there's just so much going on in the song.
It's intense, melodic, very virtuosic and just awesome in general.

This. Isolate is still their best album to date imo. Solid from start to finish, with gems like Mouth of Madness. I love how it conveys the emotional story of a man in isolation, ranging from happiness and optimism to despair and desperation. Great concept album.

I actually haven't heard too much on Nine, listened to it sometime after I got it and wasn't very impressed tbh. Unsurprisingly I prefer the long songs, like Architect and Burn. Really nice interlude in the former. But overall too many poppy sounding songs which don't stand out.

Maybe I'll should I give it a second spin though.