So the verdict is?

AntiWiggin

Mar 16, 2008
I kinda said fuck In Flames after I finally saw them live a month or two ago. I was pretty disappointed with the new album so I took a break from them. I've cooled off a bit, and I'm just wondering how people feel about the album. I remember when I left, a lot of people like me hated it. Is that still the case, or has anything changed?

My opinion has changed, in a bad way. :erk:

First, i thought the album was okay, i was very happy to hear growls again, and there were some decent riffs/ solo's here and there, but then i started to realise that i was fooling myself, i thought ''the best since clayman!'' but the next in flames release would be that, too.

bad things about the album:

sometimes shitty, whining vocals
boring synth shit
Even the lyrics are pathetic
some boring riffs

good things about the album:

some decent riffs/ solo's here and there
growls

:erk::erk::erk:

I thought it was pretty cool when it was released.
..then I got bored of it.

And some shit like the "I got to eaz ma mind" thing in Sleepless Again just pisses me off.

Same here.. at first I thought it was good, but eventually I realized how boring and plain shitty this album is. The same thing happened with STYE and CC, everyone thought they were the best since Clayman for about a month, then they understood it sucks ass just like 95% of the post-Clayman material.

I liked it when it first came out and I still like it now. Maybe not as much, but I still prefer it to CC.

However, some songs I won't listen to much again if at all. Don't think it has the replay value of earlier albums, but I never expected it to. It's fine for what it is, a new In Flames album. It's only a disappointment if you're under the false impression that In Flames are still a melodic death metal band.

I thought it was pretty cool when it was released.
..then I got bored of it.

And some shit like the "I got to eaz ma mind" thing in Sleepless Again just pisses me off.

Don't forget the other whining sentences such as: ''please heal me, i can't sleep.'' ''i feel like shit but atleast i feel something'' and ''How does it feel to be demolished,
Fate plunged into thin air,
Strange to feeling to be nothing.''

:erk: :puke:

I'm still enjoying the album, I still think it's best since Clayman by a long shot.

There's a few songs that make me cringe (namely The Mirror's Truth and Condemned) but overall I like the bulk of the album.

I used to be really bitter about "the change" and hated every new album, but in the last 6 months I've learnt to view In Flames in a completely different way. Thus I can really enjoy this album without constantly comparing it to their earlier work.

Yeah, if none of the albums since clayman ARE the best since clayman, then what is? One of them has got to be, and it just can't be R2R.

I'm still enjoying the album, I still think it's best since Clayman by a long shot.

There's a few songs that make me cringe (namely The Mirror's Truth and Condemned) but overall I like the bulk of the album.

I used to be really bitter about "the change" and hated every new album, but in the last 6 months I've learnt to view In Flames in a completely different way. Thus I can really enjoy this album without constantly comparing it to their earlier work.

Agree with this, and I'm the same. Once you actually stop comparing In Flames new stuff to their older stuff, and expecting it to sound similar, you can appreciate the band in a different way.

I liked the album the first couple of weeks, but then I got sick and tired by the song structure.
Intro/Verse/Pre-Chorus/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Solo or interlude/chorus/outro same as intro.

It does NOT cut it. I mean, the structures kill the album. The boring song structures are IMO what kills most pop music, and it's being applied to In Flames.
I just simply can't stand the predictability of the music. Also, the production is too passive, I mean, the stuff would sound a bit better if it had a less carebear production.
Also, Anders vocal harmonies are done very poorly, the choruses are so utterly boring compared to other stuff they've released. Also, the lyrics are extremely lackluster, exept on maybe The Mirror's Truth and Tilt, those lyrics are well thought out. Also, the vocal melodies don't fit in with the guitar melodies at all times, the vocals have followed and teamed up with the guitars on all other In Flames albums (yes even CC), but now it sounds so... I dunno. In Flames should try not to over polish the next album, be a bit more aggressive, and write some more interesting and variated songs when you look at the song structures.
/rant over

EDIT: In my opinion Reroute to Remain is the best album since Clayman, then STYE and then CC and ASOP tied IMO. At least CC has some good songs, TTL, dead end etc. ASOP only has some average songs (the rest are just too lame), Disconnected being one of the average on the album.

I'd take ASOP over CC. CC had absolutely no shelf life, in your face and one-dimensional in every way. ASOP, at the very least, is more varied and mature than CC.

I just wish the album could have had more variation. Just like the EP, all of those songs were unique in some way, and most of them are better than some of the "hits" on ASOP. I remember him talking about "Eraser" in the studio diaries, saying that it had the old In Flames feel to it. It certainly did, being that it is probably my favorite song off these 2 releases.

If you watch the "making of ASOP" dvd, you also hear an early, unmixed version of Eraser, and it sounds FUCKING KILLER! The album is way over produced, and it bothers me like crazy. Also, the EP kicks the album's ass. The EP songs are shitloads better than the albumtracks, I wonder why.

You guys are fucking retarded for liking A Shit of Piss over Come Clarity.

If you watch the "making of ASOP" dvd, you also hear an early, unmixed version of Eraser, and it sounds FUCKING KILLER! The album is way over produced, and it bothers me like crazy. Also, the EP kicks the album's ass. The EP songs are shitloads better than the albumtracks, I wonder why.

I'm interested in hearing this version you're talking about. In my opinion, the EP contained the best of the recorded material. Eraser, a cool throwback with some decent synths for once, Tilt, which is actually pretty damn good, and Abnegation, which is way better than the original all stars version.

The EP held my hopes up really high, and ASOP just shattered any remaining hope I had for a return to form from In Flames.

You guys are fucking retarded for liking A Shit of Piss over Come Clarity.
Grow up. Everybody is allowed to like whatever In Flames albums they want and it pisses me off when people criticise something so fucking trivial.

In my opinion ASOP shits all over STYE and CC and is, at the very least, on par with Reroute.

I'm interested in hearing this version you're talking about.

It's really sweet, there's also an unmixed early demo of "Condemned" that sounds killer. In both unmixed versions there are no "half screams" just pure screaming, it sounds way better than the final versions in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree whole heartedly, the EP material completely crushed the album.